basic video compression

andehlu

this modern love
Hi all, Im just starting to play around with Final Cut and DVD studio. I have ran into numerous issues with video formats from many different sources. I think I am going to have to start standardizing which format of video clients send me. I think it will be best to ask for quicktime but which compression is best to have a raw format? Is there also some sort of compression that is best to ask for AVIs in that speaks well with final cut?

Also does anyone know of a good tool for conversions? I tried FFMPEGX but it doesnt seem to handle divx etc....
Thanks

FinalCut Pro is a fairly hefty broadcast capable app. You'd get best results from the raw footage - hopefully DV - rather than anything else that may have been encoded twice already - which you'll then encode again to get into a QuickTime format... Otherwise your in the classic "sh*t in, sh*t out" scenario. Then again - doesn't Quicktime do AVI these days? If so match your project settings to the media you're sent. Then again - its been a while since I did any video editing.

he is right, try to get the raw footage. It is the highest quality version of that footage there can be. If you ask for AVI or other formats, you never know what you will get.

You could always upgrade your Quicktime to Pro and that might open more options for you, import-wise.

I work at a company that uses Final Cut a ton. I will check with my buddy in video production there tomorrow to see what he says. He uses Maya as well…

andehlu said:
Hi all, Im just starting to play around with Final Cut and DVD studio. I have ran into numerous issues with video formats from many different sources. I think I am going to have to start standardizing which format of video clients send me. I think it will be best to ask for quicktime but which compression is best to have a raw format? Is there also some sort of compression that is best to ask for AVIs in that speaks well with final cut?

Also does anyone know of a good tool for conversions? I tried FFMPEGX but it doesnt seem to handle divx etc....
Thanks

Final Cut Pro - DV (PAL/NTSC, depending where you are?)
DVD Studio Pro - MPEG2 (PAL/NTSC, depending where you are?)

Best coversion tool - Discreet Cleaner 6

AVI covers alot of codecs (Windows Media, Intel, DivX), same with QuickTime (Cinepaq, Sorenson). You should avoid AVI as they are more hassle than they are worth. Stick with QuickTime.

Back