BBC Article about Safari security hole

While I'm also not content with how Apple downplayed the issue, the article seems to half-ignore the fact that there IS a security patch that DOES solve the issue...

Yeah the Journo must be a PC-fanboy; I didn't see a "massive security risk" e-mail or an panic-y announcement from Apple a la Windows Update.
Just another security patch of which there are a few a year - hardly worth a BBC article like when M$ realise there's another gaping hole in the registry or similar....

Yeh I read it too. Wasn't realy newsworthy, got a prime spot on the techno section of their web site too.

I think it's more the fact that it is actually 'news' for macs to have a problem. Also BBC only speak of a 'theoretical vulnerability'.

A BBC fan

okay. and: apparently there's still an issue that isn't solved. only help viewer is fixed now, but there's still the other thing... :/ hope apple fixes everything soon. :)

The article makes quiite a point of stating:
"This is the second time this month that there have been warnings of holes in Apple's software."

If anyone remembers a few months back, during the blaster ourbreak, Microsoft posted no fewer than 40 seperate security KB articles in under a month, and released about 7 seperate patches?

Has anybody else ever even heard of Secunia? I've looked over the articles of what they describe, and would be hard pressed to see any way that a hacker could actually do what they descibe in the vulnerability reports.
Did anybody else notice tha neither of the CAN numbers they quoted for this vulnerability appears to be valid?

Back