BBEdit Screen Flash?

kermit64

Registered
It's really strange, when using BBEdit 6.5.3 the screen will flash white whenever i press shift-0 to get a closing parenthesis ). It doesn't go completely white, it just kind of brightens up a whole bunch and goes back to normal real quick. It doesn't seem to be harmful or anything, i mean i have a flat panel, so i'm not sure what harm it could be doing to the monitor. regardless i don't do it on purpose that often. but it was just so interesting that i wanted to see if anybody else had experienced this?

if you haven't noticed, then try it out, just open bbedit and type some ")"
thanks
ryan

BBedit does that whenever you type a character that does not fit within the code your programming. It gives you a hint: He your typing non-correct code. Most of the time it's true but sometimes it sucks....

Yeah, it happens too when you type a closing brace without an opening brace ("}"). The first time it happened to me I thought BBEdit was crashing my system!

Originally posted by phatsharpie
Yeah, it happens too when you type a closing brace without an opening brace ("}"). The first time it happened to me I thought BBEdit was crashing my system!

If you go to preferences -> editor defaults and uncheck "balance while typing" BBEdit wil stop doing this.

Jan

oh, that's kind of a wierd way of trying to tell you, couldn't it just beep or something. anyway, at least i know what's going on now.

Actually, if you are talking about what I think you are talking about, the "problem" you are having is the Universal Access screen flash. If you go to the Universal Access sys pref, go to the visual tab and enable the screen flashing, then you can enable this flash for every alert. (I enable this one, i like it over the beep.) Maybe the programmers at BBEdit wanted a less intrusive alert?

Back