BC Spreadsheet 1.1 beta and a question

serving2masters

Registered
Hey all,

First a question: does anyone know how to set the cursor position in a text field? Or how to move the focus - like make the user move from editing one text field to editing another through code?

Anyway, I finally got around to doing an update. Over the last couple days I rewrote NSMatrix from scratch to make the cells resizable and give myself a set of row/column markers that track wherever you scroll, so I'm doing pretty much all the drawing myself now.

There's a lot of bugs in the graphing, which is done completely differently now. You can make a graph, and drag it around (slowly, no optimization on this yet), but they can't be resized and after saving/loading all the graphs get piled ontop of each other in the bottom left.

If you want to take a look, download is at:
http://homepage.mac.com/gotterdamn/BCSpreadsheet_1.1b.dmg.gz

Anyway, after I fix this version I'm going to add some of the following:
1. columns/rows can have values set (ie column B = column A + 10)
2. improved graphing (add titles, space everything better, maybe add a couple other kinds of graphs)
3. import/export .xls files (huge pain in the ass to do, but I finally found the documentation I'd need)
4. make it scriptable. I'm not entirely sure what this means, but some whiny guy was whining about it on versiontracker. What a whiner. I don't see what the point of this is, but I'm going to at least try to figure out what he meant.

Anyone have any other feature suggestions / thoughts on what the priority of these 4 should be?

I'm pretty sure that moving the cursor in a GUI app like yours isn't a good idea, and violates the interface guidelines. Your call though.
I think you'll need to look into Carbon to control the cursor movement. Take a look at the Carbon Cursor API, I've seen examples around, so it can be done.

The reason I want to is that the focus starts on the matrix of cells, with the arrow keys moving around. When the user hits something that isn't an arrow key though, the focus should go up to the formula entry box.

Thanks, I'll look for that.

Back