BeFS creater joins apple

LordOphidian

Adjutant On-Line
The Register is running this this article, which is interesting in its own right, but more interesting than that is this:
(Applewood was an unconsciously appropriate choice - Benoit was a Mac developer before joining Be Inc, and is now chief engineer at OpenWave; while Dominic, we are delighted to learn, has subsequently joined Apple as a file system engineer. He started last week).
Dominic is the person who wrote BeFS, and Benoit is the person who wrote Be's previous file store, which was a database.

Hopefully Dominic can bring some good things to the OS X filesystem situation.

I would have loved to see some BeOS stuff come over to the Mac. The BeOS was a media OS, and I think that it could blend very nicely with MacOS :)

That is SUCH awesome news!!!

A journaling file system is terrific news for Mac OS X. The BFS was amazing, it's be great if we get its abilities in OS X.

-B

This'll be great! I just hope we won't have to reformat to take advantage of whatever future file system they create. In Windows 2000 you can convert from Fat32 to NTFS without data loss.

It would be nice if as a first step they added journaling to HFS+, and depending on how they do it, they could make it a soft update (like the ext2 -> ext3 conversion).

But It would also be nice to have them come out with a replacement to HFS+ (or just a major restructuring) that would add some more of the features of BFS.

Ahhh, the pipe dreams.

Just so you guys know, having a few BeOS system engineers now at Apple doesn't mean that OS X will magically gain BFS journaling capabilities and other cool features. It may yet take a while for any changes to come into the Mac OS X file system, and Apple might elect to hold it off to a pay-upgrade OS X 11.0 release.

Very true, but what it does do is put some people who know a good deal about the attributes and other great features of BFS at the design board for future Apple FS's.

While that doesn't mean that we will get those features, atleast we got competent people on the job.

Originally posted by simX
It may yet take a while for any changes to come into the Mac OS X file system, and Apple might elect to hold it off to a pay-upgrade OS X 11.0 release.

It wouldn't be called OS X 11.0, it would be OS XI 11.0 :D

Originally posted by kommakazi

It wouldn't be called OS X 11.0, it would be OS XI 11.0 :D

I doubt it. While the "X" does technically stand for 10, in my opinion Apple put it there to allow people to differentiate between the new Mac operating system and the Classic one. So they'll just upgrade the version number, not the letter.

Plus, OS XI 11.0 would just be too complicated.

By the time OS X 11.0 comes out, we'll probably already gone through numerous .x revisions (10.2, etc.), and by that time, Apple would've probably rolled OS 9 completely into OS X, so I would think they would drop the "X" and just call it Mac OS 11.

This would be a couple years down the track I would think...

-B

Back