Beige G3 - need to remove files.

Sogni

*gone*
help! :p

I am working on a Beige G3, 8600/300 I think, with OS 8.1.

I need to pull files off of it... How???

Floppy is outta the question, files are too big...

It is Networkable but only has Appletalk, no TCP/IP (that I can find anyway) and there is nothing in that network that can do apple talk.

We tried Dave but Dave wants OS 8.6 or higher.

So we tried upgrading it with a Software Install disk from newer mac, and iMac's 8.5 (can upgrade it to 8.6 from there), and OS 9.2.1

Well, it did not like 8.5 and we assumed it's because it's prolly specific to the iMac...

So we tried OS 9.2.1 that came with my OS 10 box... not supported! Great!

And now I can't find the OS 9.1 CD that came with my Mac since it seems that is the only one that would work (figures!).

We just want to get it to the point to install Dave just to remove the files without much surgery...

Or just to remove the fregging files somehow!!!

This would be so fregging non-trivial if it had Firewire or at least USB! sigh...

thanks for any help...

You said Removing Files (includes transfering?), you mentioned Dave and its a program thats for sharing Mac to Windoze...i dont think you really need that.

Mac To Mac
1. Depending on how far are the 2 macs, all you need to do is use a crossover cable. Connect it on the Ethernet port and use AppleTalk to access the shared HD.
You only need to Fileshare one of the macs.

2. A beige G3 doesnt have FW or USB built in but it has SCSI, so a SCSI cable and an external SCSI HD will work too.

3. A beige G3 has a spare HD bay, you can either hook up a second HD and move the files to it. Depending on which HD youre gonna use, SCSI requires a separate SCSI HD cable.
Even easier to do is, to use the CD drive (its should be IDE), disconnect it and put a slaved IDE to it. Assuming your start up HD is the built in IDE HD.

Thanks,
But we've already got the files off of it. :)

That Mac was a solitary Mac at his place of work, so we needed to do it via TCP/IP. Luckily I found an OS 8.6 CD, and installed DAVE on it. :)

Thanks just the same. :)

Back