beige MT can't upgrade x.1.5 to x.2.n

pry3i

chemical precursor
...ok so it WAS a g3 266 but i have added a sonnet g4 500 zif. 640mb ram 4gb scsi with
10.1.5 and it runs perfectly... ok really damn well.

in my adding and bastardizing i put in a yamaha crw f1ze, but didnt get the toast lite version
to run the TATTOO feature of this drive, but understand that there is support built into
toast titanium 5.2.1 HENCE the 10.2 upgrade. about 10 minutes from completion the installer
goes into a sleep mode... or at least thats what it LOOKS like. BUT you cant wake the system
and have to reboot... to an incomplete 10.2 install.

I have tried a straight 10.2 smite the volume and start from scratch as well as the 10 to
10.1 to 10.2 upgrade upgrade upgrade procedure with the same results.

i am trying to decide if this has ANYTHING to do with the sonnet chip...
i will probably attempt to put the old g3 266 zif back in and see if i can get it to install that way.

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is what works for me to install 10.2 on my biege DT G3/266-zif upgrade to 400mhz. first i remove all my PCI cards, then all ram except one 128 module. then (and i think this the most important) i did a clean wipe of my OS X partition(just the OS X Partition)using norton Utilities wipe disk feature. set my target drive to master w/slave and the CD-ROM drive to master. after the install is complete and it restarts i shutdown during the restart to set the target drive to master/single and the CD-ROM to slave then i start-up and go through setup. after setup I use the 10.2.4 combo updater that i down loaded from the apple website.(not from Updater panel)then restart and once i have booted back to 10.2.4 i shutdown and install my PCI cards and Ram back to 384. and all is well on startup. I have reinstalled 10.2 about 12 times due to troubleshooting various programs and this procedure has solved the sleep during install everytime.

damn. what a pain. i was walking a similar path and replacing all the aftermarket with the stock
components. fortunately i was able to get it installed (after too many hours) after
everything in the machine was back to stock.

i ended up getting 10.2 working by runnning a clean install of ONLY the essential base system.
after reboot and user setup, i used the install discs to add the rest of the packages. after the
manual install i was able to apply the full 10.2.4 patch.

lastly i put the g4 ZIF and the CDRW back in.

all is well...now.

The one thing i left out is that i HAD TO UNPLUG THE NETWORK, USB AND FIREWIRE in order to
get it to install. (i decided to try it again JUST to test...)

Back