Registered
i have an old Powrmac G3 im trying to get OSX onto for server duty
yes, i know it's not officially supported for anything above 10.2.8
but im trying to burn Xpost Facto 4 onto cd, so i can install it
but it won't read burned cd's!
i burned OS9 just fine, as well as the 9.2.2 updates
any tips?
i burn using Toast 7

Remember that this machine has an older CD-ROM drive that might not be able to read all CD-R and CD-RW discs. You might have to pull up Apple System Profiler to get the model number of the CD-ROM drive and then search on Google to see what discs might be supported under said CD-ROM drive.

Or, you could try installing a newer CD-ROM drive if you can get/purchase one and that might solve the issue.

okay, ill look into that
but im using a cd from the same stack of HP cd-r's that i burned OS9 with
so i dont think that would make much sense.

I had a similar problem with my Beige G3. The CD ROM read official comercial CDs just fine, but if I burned any CDs using my external CD burner or the CD burner in a G5, the G3 couldn't read it. It didn't matter what CD I used, it was just a matter of the CD ROM in the G3 not being able to understand the newer style that most everyday CD burners use.

If you're strapped for cash, I would suggest just using what ever device you used to burn the CD to also read the CD. If you used an external CD burner, no problem. If it's an internal CD burner, you'll need to pull it out of the computer it currently resides in and hook it up to your G3 for the duration of you installation process. That happens to be how I installed OS X on my G3. I hooked a DVD burner/reader up to my G3 from a G5 and it surprisingly worked for the install. Hope that helps.

Good Luck.

Back