Belkin Router's and Port-forwarding

new32

Registered
I've been trying to setup my eMac to be the host of a few servers [notably ftp and http] and on the lan everything works fine. However, no matter what I do, the router won't let anyone on the outside connect. I have a belkin F505230-4 and it's ~supposed~ to support port-forwarding and a dmz but I haven't been able to get them to work correctly with OSX.2 or anything else for that matter. *ANY* help would be appreciated...
~new32

------------------------------
Nevermind but thanks for looking! Finally figured out that I had to disable the admin password and reboot the whole thing [for some reason it won't perform the changes with the admin on even though it would save them]

Some routers (I have no experience with Belkin) not only require port forwarding to be turned on, but another option to be set to prevent HTTP and FTP from being reserved for management from the outside. I had a Netgear router that, for example, required me to not only disable web and FTP management from the outside, but required me to change the ports that they used before it would pass port 80 and port 21/20 requests through!

Otherwise, not sure what to tell you. When you say "won't let anyone on the outside connect", what do you mean? What errors are you getting?

Have you tried anything besides HTTP and FTP with your Mac set as, say, the DMZ host?

What happens if you try telnetting to port 80 from the outside? Does it simply time out, or do you get an error message right away?

Rip

Back