Benchmark your Mac

I just ran the Quickbench utility on a G3 (10.0.4) at the University of Texas and got a result of 2.566666603088379

The slowness problems i have experienced all seem related to things GUI..
doh.

Just for fun, I ran the benchmark on the 733 Quicksilver (768mb RAM) with the following applications open:

Photoshop
Illustrator
Quark
Sherlock
OmniWeb
ATM Deluxe
Filemaker
iTunes

during the entire time, I was playing an MP3 with iTunes, and there was not a single pause or hiccup in the music.

Time: 1.9833

Now is that multi-tasking, or what!?!

Ran on a G3 300DT with 640mb ram, OSX 10.0.4, Terminal & IE5 opened.

3.082 sec.

Ran on a G3 300DT with 640mb ram, OSX 10.0.4, Terminal & IE5 opened.

3.082 sec.

I've searched the forums for the C source code to try and compile it for win32 but i couldn't find it. Can someone post a link to the code or post the code itself please?

well i've just test your soft on my
dual G4 450 Mhz 768 Mo 20 G running osX 5G40.

first : i test with all my currents apps opens :
IE - Terminal - iTune playing - CPU monitor - "classic" - photoshop
my result was : 1,75 secs

( only on one processor i think :)

2° :
I close every things and relaunch the app :
time result : 1,64999999976158142 secs

quite the same no ? real multitask !!! yeah !
Well :) if it could have done on the two pross i should have found the result cut by 2 ?????

great !!!!
:D

first : i test with all my currents apps opens :
IE - Terminal - iTune playing - CPU monitor - "classic" - photoshop
my result was : 1,75 secs

( only on one processor i think 

The benchmark application only uses one processor, but OSX using both. This means that while one processor was doing the benchmark, the other was playing an iTunes song. One good way to see what your processor is doing is to open up the CPU monitor utility. This just shows total CPU usage. The Process Viewer utility shows in more detail what the processor is being used for. If you change the sampling rate from the default 20 secs to 5, you can get a better idea of what is going on. Run the benchmark while you are watching the Process Viewer, and you will see that every once in a while, the Login process appears. Also you see that at certain times, the Window Manager (Aqua?) jumps up to about 10-15% and then back down to normal 2-3%. I think both of these will be changed in the new version 10.1, and we will be able to see a slight increase in the times for this benchmark.

In case anyone is interested I ran a few benchmarks on my not so new dual 533 ( digital audio, no fancy codenames for me =( )running OS X 10.0.4, 256 Megs. of RAM, 7200(?) RPM stock 20 gig. ATA, Adaptec Ultra160 controller attached to a 10k RPM Quantum 9 gig. and a nVidia GeForce2 MX.
ok, here goes...

Quickbench Time: 1.38333332 (min.)
- i beleive it uses both CPUs indirectly cause i had other programs open at the time but none using the CPU, and while it was running CPU monitor showed both CPUs jumping up and down.

Altivec Fractal: 3351.4 MegaFLOPs (4.0 sec)

On the lighter side everyone seems to complain about OS X being slow. In X my DP is only a little bit slower, but greatly makes up for it with the multithreaded system. Ill be happy to take the speed hit considering it all even out when you add all the hangs you can run into in 9 while awaiting something to render/get connection/etc....

just my 2 cents though....

I took 2.76 when I had Netscape, StuffIt, Mail, Internet Connect open and 2.23 when I closed them all.

System>

iMac DV 400 Mhz
640 MB RAM
10 GB Hard Drive

7 and a half years . . . that has to be a record for:

eatbabies.gif
T3h D34dly Thr34d N3cr0m4ncy!!11!!
eatbabies.gif

*Downloads Application to Check*

--J.D.

Back