Benefits from using computer delivered OS?

dalo

Registered
Hello folks.

Today we're going on my second month of a happy used PowerMac G4 (17 -inch) owner, a computer that I've got from a friend when he got himself a new MacBook Pro.

This thing was delivered with Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther). Panther being rather old in these days of Apple's innovation, he also got a family license pack of Tiger when it was released. When I got this machine from him we sat down and erased the installed system (the original Panther /upgraded/ to said Tiger).

I installed Tiger on it directly from the Tiger CD he ordered through Apple Store.

Question:

Did I miss something machine -specific when installing Tiger this way, some applications or funcionality that I don't have now that I installed Tiger from a generic CD?

I can't honestly say that I want to run Panther, but should I install Panther and then upgrade to Tiger, preserving what might be machine specific?

What is the extras on a machine delivered OS, that ain't on a generic OS CD?

It's not about the _OS_ disc per se, rather it's about additional software licenses that come with a new Mac. iLife, for example, is part of the Mac you buy, but not part of the OS as some people mistakenly assume.

However: The Tiger family license does *not* allow you to install on any computer not used in the same household, so you _would_ have to reinstall Panther or buy a Tiger license, anyway.

fryke said:
It's not about the _OS_ disc per se, rather it's about additional software licenses that come with a new Mac. iLife, for example, is part of the Mac you buy, but not part of the OS as some people mistakenly assume.

However: The Tiger family license does *not* allow you to install on any computer not used in the same household, so you _would_ have to reinstall Panther or buy a Tiger license, anyway.

Yes, I've been thinking about that possibility, too. I know that iLife was included when I got my Mac Mini (and it must have been on the same DVD).

I really miss iPhoto really much, even if there might be a rather old version of it if iLife is included in the discs I'm thinking about.

Is iLife included on my CD's? We're talking about the G4 PB that did not have DL burner.

'I installed Tiger on it directly from the Tiger CD he ordered through Apple Store' - this is a 'retail' DVD version installer. Thus, the comment of 'now that I installed Tiger from a generic CD?' is incorrect.

No 'retail' version of 'Tiger' (MacOS X 10.4.x) comes with a one to one equivalent application as is installed with 'Panther' (MacOS X 10.3.x).

'Is iLife included on my ('Panther') CD's' - no; it is, and always was, a separate purchase product. 'iLife 06' however, is now provided with all currently available Mac models.

so was iLife '05 and '04 IIRC. So if the compuer originally came with Panther, there was _some_ version of iLife on the computer originally - and it's on the original installation disc(s).

fryke said:
so was iLife '05 and '04 IIRC. So if the compuer originally came with Panther, there was _some_ version of iLife on the computer originally - and it's on the original installation disc(s).

Okay. let's make this switch tomorrow then. I don't want to violate licenses for a company I respect, and I get iLife! Yay! Ill probably go with Panter until 10.5 comes out.

'Jaguar' (MacOS X 10.2.x) was released 24 Aug. 2002. Its standard software installation included 'iMovie', 'iPhoto', and 'iTunes'.

'iLife' (03) was released Jan. 2003, as a separate purchase.

'Panther' (MacOS X 10.3.x) was released on 24 Okt. 2003. Its standard software installation included 'iMovie', 'iPhoto', and 'iTunes'.

'iLife 04' was released 06 Jan. 2004, and was then included with all Macs from then on.

'iLife 05' was released Jan. 2005, and was then included with all Macs from then on.

'Tiger' (MacOS X 10.4.x) as released 29 Apr. 2005. Its standard software installation includes ... 'iTunes'.

'iLife 06' was released 10 Jan. 2006, and was then included on all Macs from then on.

The pattern is - when 'iLife x' is released, it is included among the standard software of the Macs - at that time, on. Not, with any MacOS X [installation disc(s)] releases.

Exactly what I meant and said. :) But now it should be clear for the future. :) ... I think to go with Panther until Leopard and iLife '07 is released is a good move. I'd wait for the reviews of Leopard's performance on older machines etc., though. Right now, there aren't any, of course, since not even outside-developers have had a peek at the software yet. Maybe you'll be content with Panther as your OS, and iLife '07 _might_ still run on Panther and your hardware.

Okay folks. I am now up and running with a new Panther system, from the original installation DVD's that was delivered with the computer.

One question, tho:

I saved /Uses/xxx/Library/Mail (among other things, wich works great upon importing post install), and I have set up my previous Gmail account correctly in this older version of Mail (1.3.11 (v622/624)). When I choose import mailboxes from the drop down meny, select "Mac OS X Mail" type of .mboxes, and then select the folder containing the .mbox, they are found and checked. Importing takes a while, but all goes well, as it seems. The problem is: Not any of the old mailboxes seem to contain any of my old e-mail(s). The "Mail" folder in library, tho, is the same size of the folder that I exported in Tiger, so the e-mails /are/ imported. But they are not displayed here. How do I do this, folks?

Back