best blue and white cpu upgrade?

ohiolp

Registered
Hi everyone. Sorry if this is a repeat question from someone else but I didnt have much luck finding what I was looking for. So here it is.
I just bought a blue and white mac G3 300 for $60. I upgraded it to 512mb of ram along with a new ATI pci Radeon 7000 64mb video card. The video card helped alot with Unreal and Quake 3 but Diablo 2 still lags hard. During game play it is jumpy just to walk around and it really slows down when the action picks up. While it doesnt make sense that Quake 3 runs so smooth and Diable 2 doesnt here is my question. Would a CPU upgrade help? I went to fastmac.com and sonnettech.com and looked around. Seems like upgrading to a G4 is a must and the biggest mhz should be goal I know. But just between those two companys there is a big price differnce. You get more mhz for your buck from sonnet. So if someone who has some knowledge in this area good lend some advice. Maybe there is a company out there I dont even know about or list. Thanks for your time. Sorry for the long post buy I am new to the mac world and this all seems weird.

Ben

...is a mac mini. Seriously, i was going to upgrade my BW but the launch of the mac mini has totally undermined (and undercut price wise) the upgrade market, esp the CPU side of it.

MacSales/OWC has a nice list of the major upgrades...ok prices too. http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...I=#TimeFormat(Now(),+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

I'd go with the 1.0 or 1.1 GHz G3 version too. For most uses, you won't see much more bang over it, at least not enough to justify the almost double price difference from the 1GHz G3 and 1GHz G4 upgrades.

Other slim possibility could still be your video card. ATI never made a factory 64MB 7000 series PCI based card for the Mac...which means you have a flashed PC card. Those have been known to be buggy, not to mention most are based on cheaper 'kock-off' editions of ATI's design (Saphire, DiamondMax, etc.). Those 'knock-off' cards have been known to not deliver quite the same performance as the real thing sometimes.

You could try selling the card on E-Bay, then buy an ATI 9200 Radeon (128mb) for $125.

Chances are you won't find the performance you want with that machine, even upgraded. E-Baying what you got might net you 1/2 of the cost of a new Mini.

Back