Best Buy To Sell iPod!!!!!!!!!!!

wdw_

Rockee
Check out this News.com article:

iPod to reach the masses
By Joe Wilcox
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
September 3, 2002, 8:16 AM PT

Best Buy will begin selling Apple Computer's iPod later this month, in a move that analysts say could be instrumental in igniting sales of the digital music player.

Starting Sept. 15, Best Buy will carry two Windows models and a Mac iPod in more than 500 retail stores, adding to the 35 Apple retail stores and 225 CompUSAs selling the digital music player.

The move comes soon after the first Windows-compatible iPods started selling at Apple retail stores, CompUSAs and independent Mac dealers.

In October, Apple unveiled the iPod, a shirt-pocket-sized digital music player built around a 5GB hard drive. The company unveiled in March a 10GB iPod with a 2,000-song capacity. Neither model would sync with Windows PCs because Apple's iTunes software works only with Macs.

Apple unveiled a Windows version of iPod in July, but the company only started selling the new models at the end of August. Instead of releasing a Windows version of its iTunes digital music software, Apple released separate Windows iPod models with syncing software from MusicMatch.

Opening up sales channels for the Windows version of iPod could be very important for Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple.

"That's sensational news," Needham analyst Charles Wolf said. "I'm predicting that in the (fourth calendar) quarter, Apple will sell a half million units, assuming consumers keep spending. To put that in perspective, a year earlier the Mac community bought 125,000 units. Best Buy is hugely important because of their presence and electronics. It is one of the main places people go to buy digital music players."

Wolf made his predictions largely based on the huge impact the release of a Windows iPod could have on sales.

"IDC estimates 12 million shipments worldwide of portable music player shipments this year and 25 million next year," Wolf said. "At the current price points, based on my assessments, Apple could acquire 15 percent or 20 percent of the market--somewhere in that neighborhood."

Apple is openly enthusiastic about the move into Best Buy stores.

"We're thrilled to be working with Best Buy to bring the iPod to even more customers," Tim Cook, Apple's executive vice president of worldwide sales, said in a statement.

Before Apple released the Windows iPod, many Windows users looked to third-party software for syncing with the digital music player. In late June, for example, MediaFour released XPlay, Windows software for syncing with the Mac iPod. Earlier in June, software developers TrentSoft and DataViz released syncing software with similar capabilities.

Even Linux users are joining the iPod foray. In July, for example, San Francisco-based Tex9 released a beta, or testing, version of a iPod plug-in for its Xtunes player. On Monday, Tex9, changed the name of Xtunes to Sumi at the request of Apple.

Best Buy will carry the 10GB and 20GB Windows iPods, for $399 and $499, respectively. The retailer also will sell the 10GB Mac iPod for $399.

"By adding Apple's iPod to our portable MP3 player selection, we're providing a new level of style and usability that's a perfect fit for Best Buy's techno-savvy shoppers," said Mike London, the company's executive vice president.

The sales arrangement with Best Buy marks Apple's return to the Minneapolis, Minn.-based retailer. In February 1998, Apple exited sales arrangements with Best Buy, Computer City, Office Max and other retailers.

Analysts did note that the sales arrangement, while good for iPod, is not an indication that Apple plans to expand the number of major retailers carrying Mac computers. Looking to Apple's failed relationship with retailers and the Apple's own expanding store strategy, the deal with Best Buy is likely a cautious move designed solely to increase the sales of one potentially popular product.

Apple has had mixed success selling in retail stores that carry Windows products, say analysts. So far, only at CompUSA shops, where there is an Apple store within the store, has the Mac maker had any real success. In February, Apple stopped selling Macs at Circuit City, ending an arrangement made in July 2000. In March 2001, Apple pulled out of Sears, Roebuck, which had been selling the original iMac.

I nearly fell out of my chair when I stumbled on this news....

Best Buy... carrying Apple products???
Did hell just freze over or something? :D

Alto I seriously doubt I'd buy an iPod from Best Buy, it's sure going to get people to stop and look at them for sure!

Hopefully this means that Best Buy will eventually start carrying other products (hardware, computers, software?).

an interesting point... it will definitely offer be nice to see mac
products in a variety of places.

Originally posted by Tormente
I nearly fell out of my chair when I stumbled on this news....

Best Buy... carrying Apple products???
Did hell just freze over or something? :D

Alto I seriously doubt I'd buy an iPod from Best Buy, it's sure going to get people to stop and look at them for sure!

Hopefully this means that Best Buy will eventually start carrying other products (hardware, computers, software?).

What's wrong with buying an iPod from Best Buy? Apple will be controling the prices so it's the same as anywhere else. We should be supporting the mainstream retail consumer electronics stores decision to carry Apple products otherwise we'll never see more than this. Curious thought though... Best Buy's employee discount is cost +5%... I wonder what they'll be paying for them wholesale.

Cheers
Don

Don't get me wrong - I have NOTHING against Best Buy (well, there was this time where I went through 3 defective scanners in 4 days - but I've forgiven them for that)...

It's just that, well - there's two Best Buys near me, and there are two Apple Stores... which one would you rather go to when buying Apple products?

Everything Apple = Apple Store!
Everything Else (Sony Playstation 2) = Best Buy!

:)

Originally posted by Trip
I sure wish I could find an iPod for $200 or so. :(

Yes. And iMacs 17" LCD for 699$. Or a Mercedes S for 19'999$. Or Adobe Photoshop for free. Hmm... What else can I think of... Well: "You're a iWhiner!" :)

Originally posted by fryke
Yes. And iMacs 17" LCD for 699$. Or a Mercedes S for 19'999$. Or Adobe Photoshop for free. Hmm... What else can I think of... Well: "You're a iWhiner!" :)

An iWhiner? Excuse me?! You just called Apple's #1 fan a iWhiner?!?!?! *pokes fryke* are you on drugs?!

hey fryke, to be fair to trip, he never said it had to be new or even working. :p

but i will take one of those imacs for $699 when they magically appear :D

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
hey fryke, to be fair to trip, he never said it had to be new or even working. :p

I actually really won't mind if it's missing the screen! I'm only going to use it as an external HD. :D lol!

comparitive to other mp3 players the ipod, you must admit is a tad expensive

but all of apple's hardware is like that so whats new ;)

i want an ibook and an ipod sometime, just aint gonna happen anytime soon

now back ontopic ;)

i think its great that best buy is going to carry the ipod, i would like to see limited apple products in more general stores (like compusa does their apple display, maybe even less) just something little, with some cool visuals, not nessacarily for sales, but just for exposure, which is probably more important

i bought my ipod about 3 months ago, so maybe i'm behind, but how is it a tad expensive compared to others? i think it is worth paying an extra 50-100 bucks for firewire, huge HD, and spiffy design. i do wish I could take it mountain biking or something, but wait...all I do is sit at this screen all day...

did i mention firewire?

the ipod is not expensive at all - when you are strictly comparing stats and features... there is no doubt in my mind that the ipod is worth twice as much as the other sh*t out there (nomad/minidisc/etc.)

BUT

as a lifestyle product, and next to my more "needed" products, $400 is a lot of money to pay for a convenience such as portable music... i NEED the $400 much more than i need to listen to music whilst skateboarding - i have bills to pay, just like everyone else...

IN SUMMARY

for a large majority of people (lower-middle-class income?) $400 puts the ipod just barely out of reach.. Remember how many people bought one of those first black Sony discman's that hit $199? That's the price point that Apple needs to bring this puppy in for the kill...

In a few years digital media is going to be so standard that even your parents will just accept it as the new "format" of choice: "oh dear, time to change all of our movies and music over to the new standard, and repay hollywood and the riaa $19 a whack to buy the Sinatra album for the 4th time....remember vinyl honey?"

Originally posted by dave17lax
i bought my ipod about 3 months ago, so maybe i'm behind, but how is it a tad expensive compared to others? i think it is worth paying an extra 50-100 bucks for firewire, huge HD, and spiffy design. i do wish I could take it mountain biking or something, but wait...all I do is sit at this screen all day...

did i mention firewire?

so nothing out there has firewire, as big of hd etc?

lets look at one other example...

creative nomad jukebox 3 (20gb version)

now i'll just go through some pros and cons and not have an opinion any more since i seem to get shot down whenever i have even the slightest of anti-mac opinion ;) (remember im pro computer no matter what it is, i just dont think everything is perfect so i find faults in everything not just whatever platform i dont use ;))

feel free to correct me on any of this as i dont have either product

Creative Juke Box

-Plays mp3, WAV and WMA (normal stuff)

-20gb storage (on par with apples offering)

-Back Lit LCD screen (very usefull at night)

-has both firewire and usb connectivity (not everyone has firewire, or usb, so it has more of an open option IMO)

-10.5 oz total weight (like 3 or 4 oz heavier than the sleek ipod, so its a little large)

-2 battery bays for total of 22hrs playback time (11 each, pretty long play back time IMO, longer than the ipod i think)

-i hear it has 4 port stereo for hook up to better sound systems (cant seem to find that spec myself currently)

-optical line in (allowing for direct recording from multiple sources)

-no built in "copy protection" (meaning you are free to put your mp3s on whatever computer you wish, whether its a bad or a good thing is up to you)

Apple Ipod in essence is more compatible with mac features, holds only one battery, looks better, is lighter and sleeker, is more expensive, dual port stereo, copy protection built in, and from what ive seen no back light (dont know)

the catch with all this? the 20gb ipod is 100 dollars more expensive, its features are less extensive IMO (for my uses)...

so IMO the ipod is not as good as deal as the jukebox (let alone a couple other players out there)

(waits for flames and cussing to begin at me ;))

itunes vs. nomad, besides the obvious size advantage

both have backlit displays

20 min skip vs. 7 min

6.5oz vs 10.5oz + batteries (i imagine the battery is quite heavy)

itunes, contacts, calender vs. creative playcenter (?)

bootable firewire drive vs. file storage requires proprietery pc software to mount

IMO IMO IMO

the Nomad is too big to really be called portable, unless you wear balloon pants ala MC Hammer

IMO IMO IMO

USB is not any kind of advantage, WMA is blech, line-in is debatable, 4-port stereo? what is this, 1978 with quadrophonics? does MP3 even support anything besides stereo? doubt it.

just throwing logs...

:)

for me, for the price i would buy one, you would buy the other

for me, if the prices were the same, i would probably get an ipod, but 100 bucks extra aint worth it for me for two that are pretty damned similar for my uses :)

and yeah i have pretty damned big pockets, i can fit my portable cd player in them, i think the jukebox is smaller than that so yeah :p

mc hammer was the man!!

2 legit! w00t! :)

I remember walking into Circuit City and seeing the Cube. Now they have no mac stuff. damn them. damn them.

hehe

Absoluetly hate Best Buy...I never go there...OTOH I get *excited* everytime I walk into the Apple section at CompUSA.

Does Apple put subliminal messages into their computers? I swear I am sexually attracted to Macs.

Seriously.

Nah...just kidding...but I know somebody who is...

Originally posted by übermac®™
Absoluetly hate Best Buy...I never go there...OTOH I get *excited* everytime I walk into the Apple section at CompUSA.

Does Apple put subliminal messages into their computers? I swear I am sexually attracted to Macs.

Seriously.

Nah...just kidding...but I know somebody who is...

shhhhhhhhhhhhh

Back