Best case for drop protection?

gcwhitby

Registered
I just bought a 60gig video iPod and am in love. I am also very paranoid, as the last iPod I bought (2 years ago) succumbed to a two-foot drop onto a carpeted surface.

I'm willing to invest in a serious case to keep this thing protected, as I intend to do a good deal of traveling, working out, etc. with it. Ideally, said case would allow screen visibility and controls access, as I'm the type of person who will certainly drop the machine during the two seconds when I take it out of a full-body-armor situation to change the song.

From my googling, it seems like the Otterbox might be a good option, though it seems a bit bulky. I'd very much appreciate hearing anyone's experiences with this case, or with any other that will save this very expensive piece of metal from my terminal clumsiness.

Thanks!
David

I recommend the iSkin Evo's. Not as bulky but has great protection. But not as protective as an otterbox.

Having just dropped my ipod yesterday leaving work... I'm glad I got the Clickshield last weekend at the Apple Store. Not sure how i would have told my girl friend that I broke the gift she got me within a mere 2 weeks. I turned it on and everything works fine.

And the case didn't fall off, the odd thing, it landed flat on it's back. Seemed like slow motion when it fell, a good 5 feet.

I agree - as an Apple employee, I would highly recommend the Evo cases. Dual layered silicone. It will absorb most of the shock when dropped - having tested it myself. There are a lot of good cases out there - but, stick with the gel/rubber ones.

I recommend not dropping your iPod. I know, sounds stupid, and it "can happen to anyone", right... Right? No. It doesn't happen to anyone. It's like losing your keys or leaving them in the locked car (back when you could actually do that...). Or putting the mobile phone on a table in a pub and forgetting about it when leaving. These things, in my opinion, happen only to those who are "the type" for it. I know, it sounds very drastic and elitist or something, but I truly believe it's better to _not_ have a protecting sleeve or case for the iPod and actually not drop it than thinking it is safe and letting it drop with a nice case and have it break over time all the same. Depending on how you drop a harddrive-based iPod it doesn't really _matter_ how good such protection is, because the harddrive *will* break some day. Bah, maybe I'm just jealous of that 60 GB iPod, who knows... ;)

fryke said:
I recommend not dropping your iPod. I know, sounds stupid, and it "can happen to anyone", right... Right? No. It doesn't happen to anyone. It's like losing your keys or leaving them in the locked car (back when you could actually do that...). Or putting the mobile phone on a table in a pub and forgetting about it when leaving. These things, in my opinion, happen only to those who are "the type" for it. I know, it sounds very drastic and elitist or something, but I truly believe it's better to _not_ have a protecting sleeve or case for the iPod and actually not drop it than thinking it is safe and letting it drop with a nice case and have it break over time all the same. Depending on how you drop a harddrive-based iPod it doesn't really _matter_ how good such protection is, because the harddrive *will* break some day. Bah, maybe I'm just jealous of that 60 GB iPod, who knows... ;)

I actually think that way also, so you're not alone lol. But the best ones in my opinion have the silicone shell because it has a good grip to it and absorbs quite a bit of shock.

I second flomac's opinion here, and agree with fryke that some people are more accident prone than others. Incidentally, this is also backed by modern science. Get a silicone shell and start paying attention to what you're doing, that's the best protection.

My own experience with this suggests that I'm not in the accident prone category. At my previous job, noone could hold on to the same equipment as long as I did, without breaking it. Still, I have an extra neoprene cover for my PowerBook, even though I carry it in a protective shoulder bag, a silicone shield for my iPod and a lanyard keeping my mobile phone hanging around my neck. This stuff is too expensive and important to me to loose or break.

Back