Best digital camera for around $1000aus?

ThE OutsiDer

Registered
I am about to buy a new still digital camera but don't know much, I want quality megapixels (or whatever the mid range is)
"FULL NO BUTS ABOUT IT" MACOSX compatibility and great quality and warranty with good memory storage/Battery.

So far I have been told Sony and Nikon (<-coolpics?) have the best cameras out now, but doesn't apple always use canon cameras in their adds?

What uses it will be for -
Holiday to Europe to start with, then it will fall into line and become a camera to take shots to use as textures for lightwave 3D texturing which explains why I need good quality to start.

I want the most Apple bias camera on the markety, one that loves iPHOTO and uses QT technology.

Also added bonus if it can play MAME emulation as I heave read some cameras can (Kodak, wasn't it?)... :)

Ok,

I bought the Canon Ixus 300 for around $1000 AUD and it's a good digital camera, but it's the type of camera that you use for "snaps"

If you want something with extra grunt and features of an SLR camera pay the little bit extra and buy the Canon PowerShot G2.

I have the PowerShot G2 and feature wise it's excellent and well worth the money,
if however you're after a simple camera without the bells and whitles buy the Ixus 300 or Ixus V.

All three camers work perfectly with mac osx, image capture, iphoto and photoshop7 :)

I wanted to buy a camera myself, but then I ended up with an iPod instead...oh well back to the question. I found out that Sony DSC-S75 or the DSC-S85 is the best cameras out there if you are looking for a reasonably priced camera.

Here's a link you might want to look at. They have reviewed almost every digital camera that you can buy.

http://www.dpreview.com/

The sony cameras are highly recommended on the site.

Paragon

Paragon's on the right track.

I work at the UK's 2nd busiest airport. I work in an electrical store. The Sonys Paragon mentioned are very good (battery lasts for years) BUT, the thing about Sony is that you have to use their memory which is not cheap. Aside from that the new 707 and P5 are the favourites in the store at the moment.

If it was my money, I'd get the Canon S40, but that's a little more expensive than what you had in mind, as were Paragon's suggestions. Get the P5 if you want a pocket camera that's very cool, very easy to use and good value for money.

If you think the sony cameras are too expensive, although they cost around $1200 here in Denmark and you can get a great price if bought on eBay, you should consider the Minolta s304. It's a great camera that almost got highly recommended on the link I provided. It's really an overlooked camera which have many of the specs. the more expensive minoltas have.

But I think the best thing you can do is look around on the site and ask some questions in the forums there.

Paragon

What's the current exchange rate on OzDollars, anyhow?
For around $300 US, I got the Olympus Camedia D-510, and I love it. 2.1 megapixels, iPhoto-friendly, takes marvelous photos, and has a ton of settings (most of which I'll probably never use). And it can also record brief video clips.
:D

Can someone explain to me what exactly is a Megapixel?

I've just purchased a pretty cheap camera that I absolutely LOVE, around $150, for an Olympus Brio Camedia D-150 Zoom to replace an Intel Mistake (Pocket PC Cam - altho an OK camera, does not work with Mac). My Olympus says it has 1.3 Megapixel... whatever that means! :p

I know it takes pretty good rez pictures (for my use) at 1280x960 (far superior to my Intel mistake @ 640x480).

Hmmm... 1.3... 1280 rounded up = 1300... is that what it means? Size of picture? :p

When a camera has 3 Megapixels, then that's the number of pixel's on the CCD chip in the camera. The CCD is the chip which records light falling on it, it's the device which actually "records" the picture. It also tells you something about the resolution of the picture. The higher in Megapixel's the higher resolution of your picture.

Paragon

Back