Best (free?) way to play VCDs in Jaguar?

PD

Registered
I have some older VCDs that I'd like to be able to play. MacOs X can't play vcds apparently. What is the best, preferably free, solution to play vcds in Jaguar?

And, since I'm at it, why on earth wouldn't apple include support for vcd when all of Asia is using it!?????

Thanks!

PD

Thanks. Well, I tried it and discovered something even more terrible! I managed to get a couple of my vcds to play with it, but most of them will not even be recognized by my powerbook and are automatically spit out within a minute or so!

Any idea what that could be? they worked perfectly under macos 9 on the same machine....

Powerbook G4 550/512mb

Thanks again

PD

Push the disc a little to the right as you insert it. This usually helps me. It's a hardware thing.

Unfortunately I don't think it is a hardware problem. The CD goes in, spins for a while as though the computer is trying to read it and then, when not recognized, it spits it out....

Is there something with the formatting of VCDs that could cause trouble with Jaguar perhaps?

.. but I think Apple has yet to implement the filesystem used on VCD's (or was it SVCD's?) in Mac OS / X.

The system rejects the disc because it cannot be read.

.. I could be wrong though.

My solution is to not burn the Video on disc. If you have a .bin / .cue file then use GnuVCD Tools to extract the MPEG2 and play that file through VLC.

Good luck.

Back