Best laptop bag/case?

Ricky

Registered
Hey all.

My lil' bro recently bought a 12" iBook, and it would be a shame if he dropped it, as he doesn't have a case for it yet and he carries it EVERYWHERE. So I was wondering what the best kind of case to get for it would be, preferably less than $100.

My friend recommended an EMS bag, and another friend recommended American Tourister, if you'd like to give your second opinion on these as well.

I have a bag for it, that I used for my 12" ibook..., and it's a perfect fit for the 12' PB as well. I'll sell it to you for $30. That thing helped my icebook stand up to just about any beating I could give it.

For normal banging around and the like I use a Neoprene sleve made for the small Sony Vaio. Fits like a charm. I even removed the VAIO tag off of the front.

When I actually have to travel I stick it in it's VAIO sleve and then put it in an old DELL carry case.

I'd recommend a hard case. As a student, my laptop gets jostled around quite a lot and I had to send it in because all the movement had disconnected some display connection or something. Anyways, the mac dudes recommended I get a hard case for my laptop, and they recommended any vanguard hard sided case. You can find some here for not that bad... http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/comnotcas.html

I like to carry my ibook in my backpack - that looks like a normal backpack, not crying "look, i have an apple laptop inside! anyone want to steal me?" - so i first pack my 'book to a small, protected specific case, and then put that to the backpack.

I wanted just fitting case for it, and jaguar fake fur as well.. there were none such avaiable, so i had use my own sewing skills - so the 'book case looks like THIS and THIS :)

Fake fur, apple green fleece, soft topping material, a lot of patience, one singer sew machine from the 1920s... and there you go. :)

A hard case is nice, but for school and around the house, it's overkill. I had one, and it got to be a pain in the butt. To carry it from class to class, my padded sleeve inside of my bookbag was more than enough protection. Plus, those Alubooks and iBooks are built like tanks anyways.

Check out the Apple store - I think they have exactly what you need - I own the
Brenthaven 15 Backpack and am thrilled with it - although I understand it goes beyond your $100 budget- I am sure the lesser priced 12 inch Mobility Backpack is excellent as well - these are really well made and well designed bags!

---

Mobility Backpack by Brenthaven
$99.00
Your search for a smart backpack is over. Manufactured exclusively for Apple, the versatile and stylish Mobility Backpack by Brenthaven has all of the features and benefits that make it the perfect Apple portable solution.

---

Professional 12 Backpack Case by Brenthaven
$179.00
Designed specifically for the PowerBook G4 12", the Professional 12 Backpack features a removable, custom-fit vertical computer sleeve and multiple hardware pockets; heavily padded, ergonomically shaped shoulder straps and numerous accessory pockets making it the ultimate backpack for the Apple mobile professional.

----

http://www.spireusa.com/

I went through a couple different bags, and even a TomBihn.com sleeve for my 17" powerbook before I found SpireUSA.com

they make bags and sleeves specifically for laptops. I LOVE my bag. It comes with e padded/reinforced sleeve (with its own strap and handle to carry independent of the bag), the bag has a hard plastic divider to keep the sleeve/laptop seperate from the contents in the rest of the bag. it's got tons of pockets for all your stuff, and the bag just looks cool to boot.

EDIT: they DO make for the 12", look at the backpacks
they don't make specifically for the 12"ers, but they do for the 15, which would also work.
check them out at least.

good luck finding what you need.

http://www.timbuk2.com

I designed my own bag here; it fits MiBook (description below) perfectly, and I can also use it as a general messenger's bag when I'm not carrying my laptop around. I got a lot of pockets put in so I can put pens and such in there and a seperate zippered document compartment to keep papers from getting crumpled up.

There's also a hard divider which attachs via velcro to the sides of the bag so you can take it out when you're not carrying around your laptop.

My own bag has rooster red on the left and right panels and silver on the middle panel, if anyone wanted to know.

I have an InCase and it works quite well. It fits well, has extra pockets, isn't too heavy but still durable. I've never had any problems with it during any flights.

Back