• Some webmail account

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other, not above (tell)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neonlady

Registered
So, after on and off issues with Netscape and its mail app, I 'd like to search for a more reliable mail app. (and maybe browser) I have several email accounts from various locations, both POP and IMAP. My question is,
What is your favorite email app?

Important issues- multi email use, customization, template creation, and of course, dependability. I am using OSX.2.8

If you get ten replies to this question, you could have ten different suggestions :)

I've been using Eudora for years and wouldn't change.

bobw said:
If you get ten replies to this question, you could have ten different suggestions :)

I've been using Eudora for years and wouldn't change.

Yes, I figured that, but I'd like to get some opinions of favorites, and compatibility. Thanks!

damn, but I'm stuck with Entourage (2004's an improvement on X).
Improved junk mail filter is MUCH better.
Having mail, contacts, calendar, todos, and memos all in the same app is very convenient and syncs to my palm.

I need to use the exchange server @ my company.
I've tried making things work as well with the Apple iApps,
but four separate apps is a hassle and a waste of dock space!
I'd need a third party app to synch my palm or communicate between Entourage and the iApps.

I haven't seen much point in other clients.
I'd like to be using the iApps, but for now It's all Entourage!

ttfn Dirtbag

I just use the built in Mail.app that comes with OS X. Its does all I need it to do, which is send and receive emails.

I use Mail with three accounts. It works great. I like setting it up in my startup item so that the icon notifies me of email in the background. Entourage didn't fit my tastes in some areas, but the calendar and ToDo lists are nice. I've never liked Eudora personally. There's also Thunderbird from Mozilla.

I use mail.app and I like it. But if you need more customization you could check out Mozilla Thunderbird.

I'd like to add a poll to this thread... What should be included?

Mail.app, Eudora, Entourage, mozilla-based, webmail.

I personally don't think we should split mozilla and webmail into more separate ones... A few voices and a moderator can add the poll (I will if I'm around then)...

Personally, I'm using gmail and Mail.app right now. Mail.app has grown into far more than just a replacement for Outlook Express (which probably was the most spread mail handler in OS 9 times, for it was free and quite good). Mail.app's rule/spam management is of high quality, and so is the account management. There _are_ issues, of course, but there are with any mail client I've ever used.

mozilla-based should be Netscape.app Mail, Mozilla.app Mail or Thunderbird. Because those are three different email apps. Technically. ;) Also, search on macupdate.com for some more mail apps. I know there are a few more.

mail.app is pretty good.
thunderbird is nice - but i wish it was more integrated with apple's addressbook.
if you don't care for the gui, mutt is nice :) .. with whichever texteditor you prefer (vim, pine etc).

I've separated the mozillas into two (Netscape and 'other mozilla'). You can count those together, if you feel like me and count them as one. Thunderbird is part of the mozilla project.

You can select more than one (do so, for example, if you use webmail also from time to time).

I am bi-polar when it comes to email. Because I want my mail anywhere I access it (webmail, mail.app, Outlook, etc) I of course use IMAP which makes this possible.

For the longest time I used Entourage (previous version) and before that Outlook. Of course, I installed Eudora one day and that brought back LOTS of memories. Eudora was the bomb many moons ago.

After I got tired of Entourage (issues it had) I went to using Webmail, the Squirrel Mail. This became my primary mail client. But then when I started using iPhoto and what not, and it's integration into mailing things and wanting a fe more features than the webmail, I tried out mail.app. I use it now... and webmail when I am away from home.

Each has it's pluses and minuses. The Entourage grouping of applications together is nice, and if you need Exchange connectivity, well that is a given.

I think hardcore Eudora users would actually _hate_ it if Qualcomm changed the interface, twister. ;-)

ok, i've used outlook years ago and entourage for the past year or two, so now i wanna junk those and use my apple mail.

i've tinkered with it, but i got the following message:

"The mailbox ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Deleted Messages.mbox is currently locked by x on host x-xx-xx-xx-233.xxx.client2.attbi.com. If you open a mailbox that already is in use, you may damage its contents."

maybe i'm being lazy, but what does this mean, and what can i do to fix and get on with it?

all the thanks

t

I used to use Entourage X, but switched to Apple Mail because of the iCal / Bluetooth compatibility (the shareware synching app was too annoying to use longterm).

The only thing I hate about Mail.app is the way it handles attachments. Attachments are attached inline with your text... it's confusing to me. I think attachments should have their own little box where they can be listed (like in Entourage or any other email program).

Back