Best program to create a resume

Randman said:
Illustrator? For a resume?
Egads. That's almost as bad as using Photoshop to make one.

well for photoshop, you've got to make sure your image size and resolution is right. it's easy for text to be aliased in photoshop. in illustrator, ok i admit, if you're not familiar with it, don't touch it. otherwise, it gives me vector based text which is nice and crisp, and exact placement of the text. i hate dealing with Word's columns. can't ever get to it to look right.

Randman said:
Illustrator? For a resume?
Egads. That's almost as bad as using Photoshop to make one.
Illustrator is actually an excellent choice for a single page layout, always has been. I would hardly compare it to Photoshop in this respect. I've known people who have been using Illustrator for page layout since the late 80's. It is a very powerful tool.

RacerX said:
Illustrator is actually an excellent choice for a single page layoutl.
A single page layout is not the same as a resume. As a designer, Illustrator is a horrible app for creating a resume. I'd never hire anyone who tried sending an Illustrator file when applying for a job. If anything, it would show to me a) that the person doesn't know how to use other programs b) accessibility isn't a priority with the designer, which to me is anathema to what a good designer should be about.

Now, if there are work samples in Illustrator, that's different from a resume.

Randman said:
I'd never hire anyone who tried sending an Illustrator file when applying for a job.

You wouldn't accept PDFs (which is a native Illustrator format)? That is pretty sad. :confused:

InDesign.... of course. Why would you treat a CV any differently than another piece of designed print work?

You could use M$_Word, apart from the fact that it's totally rubbish and still (after all these years) changes the font back to Times New Roman mid-paragraph. Or, you could use Quark Xpress, apart from the fact that it's an antiquated bollox old programme that thankfully is dying the death that it soooooo deserves!

Many people don't have ID or Quark. We're not talking just about designers here. And after working with it even more, Pages is still the best and with the number of templates available on the web, one can adapt it for the c/v as one wants.

For my recent search, I redid my c/v in Pages, exported it for a Word Document (which it handled nicely) and also as a pdf since I've included some of my design work in pdf as well. Have them all ready for mail attachments or downloading from the work part of my .Mac site.

Yes Randy you're probably correct... but Freaky did quote Quark in his/her original question, which seems to imply access to more professional apps.

Freaky, if you have access to the professional applications, it makes most sense to use these. They offer the greatest range and felxibility, which is of course why they are considered the professional choice.

Back