Best replacement HDD for PowerBook

Zeal

Registered
I'm about to dash out and upgrade the 6GB HDD in my PB G3 400mHz (FireWire), but aren't sure what brand HDD I should replace it with. My current HDD has ended up with bad block/sectors, or something like that. It's the 3rd HDD I've had in it since I bought it brand new - the other 2 drives were replaced under AppleCare warranty due to my complaining about the noise they made.

I've done heaps of reading and research but haven't got any "real unbiased" advice or suggestions. I want either a 20 or 30 GB HDD as anything bigger will cost even more of a fortune over here in New Zealand (30GB will cost about NZ$600 - ouch!).

I've looked at IBM's range: the Travelstar 30GT or 20GN models, or the 30GN model (which has the Fluid Dynamic Bearing feature).
I've also looked at Hitachi's offerings.

Is it easy and safe enough to replace the HDD myself, or am I better to take it in to an Apple reseller? I'll probably end up buying the new HDD from a PC reseller (much better prices) so don't want their greasy fingers all over my PowerBook trying to install it for me. Regards, Zeal

Back