Best Scheme for E-mail Encryption?

untz

Registered
Hello there,

I run OS X Tiger on my G4 PowerBook...

Am wondering what the *BEST* scheme is to use for e-mail encryption?

What I am looking for is some way to encrypt my e-mails so no one can intercept them and then read them.

Should I be using PGP or GPGMail? Does anyone know of anything that is better?

I send a lot of e-mail to people who are business contacts and a lot of them I have never spoken with before... Will I be forced to send them the key or tell them how to read my e-mail?

Sincerely yours,

GPGMail would be my choice. It is resilient, open-source and keys are not held by any government agencies (unlike RSA, DSA and AES schemes, for which the US Dept of Defence hold keys). It uses the PGP protocol but is free. It is used by journalists in warzones, by various resistance and anti-government movements throughout the world, by software developers seeking to protect their code, by terrorist groups and by criminals and investigators alike.

And, as a bonus, it provides excellent authentication mechanisms and perfectly seemless integration into Apple's Mail.app. I recommend it highly.

Dear Symphonix,

Thank you for your advice! I actually already downloaded it and came across some issues:

Downloaded:

1. GPG Key Chain Access 0.7.0
2. GPG 1.4.5
3. The System Preferences GPG
4. GPG FileTool

After installation, I launched Apple Mail and it stated that in order to use GPG, I needed to create a key using GPG Key Chain Access.

Followed the wizard and created two different keys for two different e-mail addresses.

Some Problems:

1. I have over 5 e-mail accounts set up on Apple Mail. The GPG Key Chain Access only displayed 3 (forcing me to manually type in the others in the box, would the manual creation be a problem)?

2. After creating two different keys, I launched Apple Mail, and when "composing a new message", I was able to check mark the PGP and Encrypted Keys but not pull down the drop down list for
"Signed" and "Keys".

Any advice, assistance, suggestions, and tips are greatly appreciated!

Sincerely yours,

Back