BEST tv card for mac

THEMACER

Registered
I want to watch tv and record using my mac i have 1 slot left so i wanna get a tv tuner card. Which is the best one?

The info said it will work with any tv tuner with osx drivers. So anyone know a tv tuner card with osx drivers.

The only I know and use is the Formac Studio Box! It works quite well but I'm sure it isnt what you are looking for! I LOVE IT!!! :D

A current, there is no solution for PCI based TV tuner cards for OS X.

With that said, there are other solutions using other methods.

ATI has a USB edition of their TV tuner that is supposed to work with OS X.

Formac at current still have not decided to bring support to their customers that have the Formac ProTV Stereo PCI cards and basically to us that if we really want TV on OS X, we need to spend an additional $499 (last I checked) to buy their ProTV Studio, which all-in-all looks like a good product but is just too expensive to just watch TV (Plus it's Firewire).

According to BTV, in order to use their software you still need valid video drivers for the hardware, BTW is not a substitute for missing OS X drivers.

I really think Formac needs to stop being cheap and support the new operating system fully and provide OS X support for their ProTV Stereo TV Tuners. I pulled mine out and vowed to never use it again unless they add this support.

I looked into the ati usb tv but the web site has no drivers for os x. So where did u get the info that the usb version os osx compatable?

I'm sorry your right.. I never bothered to check out their site regarding drivers. I just remember talking with a rep while at MacWorld Expo and that was their recommendation. I ignored it mainly because I don't like video via USB, but I did ask for TV solutions on OS X and that is what he suggested.

I double checked and I did not see anything on their site, so I guess there is a lesson to learn here, don't trust ATI reps.

I can tell you this though, who ever comes up with OS X support first (Nvidia or ATI) by providing TV tuner support either built in to an All-in-wonder unit like ATI's or on a seperate card will get my business.

Next time I'll check my sources more thoroughly before posting them.:rolleyes:

No problem at least u help well know we know theres no osx drivers for tv tuners. But whats bugging me is that y would people make btv pro when it supostto be for tv cards but there arent any?

I checked out BTV's website and found this info about current tv tuners out on the market and that none of them have OS X support. Then I saw one on the list that I thought did have OS X support. Check out MyTV. I bought one with my Tower G4, but later on sold it because I don't like video over usb (I had to try it to learn that I hate it).

But they do mention the ProTV from Formac and that it may capture video from the card, but it would not be able to change the channel.

I guess we are stuck here waiting for someone to do something about this.:mad: .. no worries though, got my PeeCee right next to me that has the ATI TV Wonder PCI so that I can watch tv while I play on my mac.:p

Are there still not cards for mac osx? Are there pci cards for atleast os9? I wouldnt mind having to switch over to os9 back and forth to watch tv.

sum it up in one word 'bandwidth'

Most if not all usb tv tuners capture in 320x240.

PCI can handle larger resolutions.

ok by saying it works in os9. Does that mean I have to switch all the way over to os9 or does it work in classic?

I tried it v10.0 and v10.1 and it would not work. I never did try to troubleshoot though. I may re-install the card this weekend and try it out again..I'll post any new findings.

Back