best way to Move home folders from older osx server

n1cster

Registered
Hi all,

I want to split my home folders accross 2 servers to take the load off the open directory master. The user accounts are in AD but home folders are on the osx dir master server. does anyone know what is the best way to migrate some of the home folders to the our new replica osx server?

Regards.

Since you have the same directory service, it should be pretty straight forward, as the user accounts are network based (ie - the same account exist on the current server as the new, so permissions should be observed). That is, if both servers are bound to the same Directory Services... (hint hint) ;)

I'd just setup a new share with the same setup you have now and copy the data over. You could copy it tons of different ways, such as to an external disk, over the wire via scp or a file share, etc. It would seem that the user home directory path info lives in AD (that's usually what I seen in these scenarios), so you'll have to update the AD user home directory to reflect the new server location though.

Are there any more details to what you're trying to do? That should give you a good starting point. :)

Michael

Hi there,

i did what you suggested all seemed great desktops load up but users i moved get and error when they click on there home folders. The error is:

The volume for "username" cannot be found

Any ideas why this might be i have check permissions and ad points to the new location.

on the directory replica that has the moved folders should the users share be automounted as well as the OD master?

Regards.

Back