Best web browser for OSX?

Chazam

Apple Virgin
Hi there!
Being new to all thinghs mac and OSX in particular i'm asking for a web browser recommendation.
I currently have Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox (My favorite on the PC & i'm happy with it on OSX).
Are there any other better browsers i'm missing out on?
Any help or comments very much appreciated!
Peace.
Charlie & Louise. :)

Safari .. and Firefox, depending on what you prefer. Or both :)
If you want to test them all, there is Omniweb, Mozilla, Netscape, iCab, (Internet Explorer.. ) ..

IMO, if you've got safari and fire fox, you're set. not bad to have the others, but I never use em!

OmniWeb has potential, but it's still a beta. And Safari can't be beat, for the price. However, if you do try Safari, add pithhelmet and Safari Enhancer to give you more options/customization.
Can Google for them, or look at versiontracker.com or macupdate.com

I've been using OmniWeb since version 2.4 and for most of the last 6 years it has been my default browser.

I did leave OmniWeb (4.2) for Safari for a short time (still used OmniWeb for work tasks), but after the release of 4.5 it went back to being my default browser again. I can't remember the last time I used anything else on my systems.

The other browsers have a long way to go as far as catching up with OmniWeb. What features OmniWeb doesn't offer on it's own I can get from services. When ever I'm forced to use something other than OmniWeb on other people's systems I realize all the more what I have with OmniWeb.

As for the 5.0 version, looks nice, but I'll wait for the final release. OmniWeb 4.5 is still hands down my browser of choice on my systems that can run it (and OmniWeb 3.0/3.1 on my other systems).

I agree completely with Racer X' recommendation of OmniWeb - with a small 'but': Tabs.

OmniWeb < 5.0 hasn't got any, and OmniWeb 5 (currently at beta 6) has a very nice replacement for tabs, which is: It shows you the tabs as small (user-resizable) screenshots of the pages. While a great optical way to show tabs, it uses horizontal screen real estate, which on iBooks and PowerBook 12" models is just bad, as it reduces your browser window to much less than 1024 width, which is standard nowadays for many, many webpages.

If, however, you have a screen resolution wider than 1024, I can only recommend OmniWeb 5. If you start to find out about all of its features, you've only just started!

Huh. Nobody mentioned Opera. how sad. Not that I use it, but it's just sad that nobody has mentioned it yet.

hey guys, don't forget Camino. 0.8 is coming out real soon, and the 0.8 beta is great! there have been tons of improvements since 0.7.

-JARinteractive

Im happy with FireFox... its seems a little more standards compliant than Safari (at least the last time I checked)

I also keep IE around for testing and development. :|

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
I'll have a look into all the browsers as i get time.
I must admit Firefox is doing fine at the moment tho. :)

I wanted to chime in here.

I'm in the minority in that I use Mozilla 1.5 as my defaut browser. Certainly Safari is readily accessible in my dock, but I've preferred Mozilla since my Windoze days.

Its best features include tabbed browsing available via context (right-click) menus, customizable pop-up blocking, a customizable search feature, and quite possibly the best-implemented password manager. Incredible conveniences for my style of surfing. I've been using Firefox on my laptop and its a very lean Mozilla-type browser. I haven't found much reason to switch to Firefox/Camino for my Mac though.

Seems like Opera has a new version: http://ct.com.com/click?q=2c-DafOIc0O7XKa_GNRXlvUZgCZQFjD

...any interest?

My hats off to Opera. I have been using it for years on the PC and can't see how did without mouse gestures which are also available on the Mac version. Does Safari have mouse gestures?

Mouse gestures let you do thing like open a new page, go back to the previous page, minimize, or even close a page or window by moving the clicking and moving the mouse. It sure beats having to go to the menu bar or using context-sensitive menus.

One thing I forgot to mention is that there is a caviat on Mac's and that is that you need a two button mouse to use mouse gestures.

Opera 7.51 rocks! It's super fast. I just started using it, so I don't have any long term input. But lately, Safari has been dragging. I keep getting the rotating rainbow cursor whenever I try to page down or enter to another page. It's been driving me batty so I'm also looking for alternatives. Per feedback of others in this thread, I will also try firefox and omniweb. Good luck.

I'm running a G4 titanium 500 mhz laptop.

Back