Best Wireless Connection Options

edt207

Registered
We recently bought a used slot loading imac G3 as a second computer for the kitchen with an airport card (802.11b) installed. After reinstalling the original operating system, upgrading to OS 9.2.2 and then installing OSX and downloading all available updates I am now ready to enter the world of wireless connection. After reading several articles and reviewing products, discussing my needs with some very unhelpful large electronic store employees I am confused.
I am planning to locate the router in one corner of my house were my current imac and cable modem is located and the second in the other corner about 60 feet away. I have been considering purchasing either an Airport Exteme Base ( alittle more than I would like to spend) and Non Apple routers. I have also come accross some material that suggests the Airport Extreme's range is 50 ft rather than 150ft as specified in the product specifications. One of my concerns is having a secure network. I would like to share my current printer with the second imac as well as files. One of the articles I read indicated there is a common problem securing wireless networks via WEP when using a non apple router.

Help Please

Range will depend more on the type of walls in between the access point [AP] than anything else. As long as they are not concrete or old lathe [with metal support] you should do okay. Books block the signal too [I have installed APs in libraries], so if you have a large bookcase in the way, that may be an issue. The Aiport Extreme should do just fine in your situation, but will do even better with a directional antenna. You will find it the easiest to set up of all the APs out there.
If you go with a different brand do make sure you can attach a separate antenna to the unit. Good antennas can be had for under $40 and will greatly improve the speed of your connection. [I prefer HawkingTech products]
In addition to Apple products I use Belkin and D-Link APs and have had no problem with WEP setup and access. In that regard there is a very good technote [106424] on Apple's web site re passwords that you should read.
Here is the URL... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106424
If you go with an Airport Extreme, be sure you get one that allows an external antenna. And then be advised that it requires a special antenna connector that has some resistance in it to tell the AP that there is an external antenna connected and not to use the internal antenna. [HawkingTech has a special model of antenna for Apple Extremes]. Expect to pay a few dollars more because of that connector.
For security purposes, don't broadcast your SID, do use WEP, and take advantage of any built-in firewall in the APs router. Do change the APs name, default admin account name and password immediately. With OS X, use the Security prefs to require a password to unlock each secure system preference. Backup your routers firewall with OS X's built-in sharing services and firewall protections.
Doing the above will help make your system quite secure. Although a determined hacker might be able to work his way into your system, because you normally would not have heavy traffic on your AP, it would take him days to do so, and he would have to camp on your doorstep to do it. They will go after the easy targets instead, those folks with open APs in your neighborhood, and you will find many neighbors are not as savvy in setting up their APs as you will be.
Hope this helps.

Save yourself some money, get a Netgear or Buffalo 4 port wireless router.
Check http://www.dealmac.com for deals. You can search for them there.

I have the Netgear 814v2, and easily get 90 ft reception.

It's also good to keep in mind that the "shape" of the reception from the router is conical in nature. I moved mine to a high-mounted shelf in the basement, more or less central to the home, and now have excellent signal strength in all portions of the home. Prior to that I had the router on the main floor, sitting on a table at the back wall of the house (the house is roughly 30' x 40') in the center, and had many "drop outs" on the first floor. Once I learned of the conical shape to the reception area and moved it downstairs to the basement, all my dropouts when away.

edt207 said:
1. I am planning to locate the router in one corner of my house were my current imac and cable modem is located and the second in the other corner about 60 feet away. I have been considering purchasing either an Airport Exteme Base ( alittle more than I would like to spend) and Non Apple routers. I have also come accross some material that suggests the Airport Extreme's range is 50 ft rather than 150ft as specified in the product specifications.

2. One of my concerns is having a secure network. ... One of the articles I read indicated there is a common problem securing wireless networks via WEP when using a non apple router.

1. You should not have much of a problem with 60' with any good router. You should be able to buy pretty much any popular brand router and do fine. I recommend the Linksys routers very highly. And, note that Radio Shack now is selling 5dB antenna boosters for Linksys routers.

2. Any decent/up-to-date wireless router will provide excellent security if it supports WPA and has a firewall (which should be enabled). I would not use WEP as this encryption method is relatively easy to crack. In addition to using WPA, you might disable SSID broadcasting although doing so gains one very little when using WPA (i.e., a cracker with even minimal skill still can find your network). And, note that some would recommend broadcasting your SSID so that others will know what channel you are using and, thus, can avoid that channel when setting up their own wireless networks.

Back