Beta Test Raptor (my OSX game)

Holmes

Humble God
Hey, I've worked since late september on my game. I started just a few days after diving into TNT basic, my new BASIC compiler. I formed a group with a few friends, and got one to do the music for my game, and one to help with maps. The end result is quickly becoming the best game I've personally ever made. I'm releasing it in a week, on November 2nd. The game is done, except in terms of levels and bugs. There still are 13 levels, however, so you should get a good hour of gameplay out of it. I invite everyone here to beta test.

The game is called Raptor, though I may have to change it due to legal issues. It is a top down scrolling arcade style plane game. It runs in hardware mode, and theres lots of sprites so it requires a pretty fast computer to run in OSX (it was designed on a 667mhz powerbook G4). OS9 runs faster though.

Features:
OpenGL accelerated 2d graphics
13 Levels (final will have a few more)
Around 20 types of enemies
Bosses
Original Soundtrack

Raptor is absolutely free, and open source! So dig into the beta! Ask me if you want the source code.

Here's the link:
http://solidmag.vze.com/raptor/download.html

He'res a link to screenshots:
http://solidmag.vze.com/raptor/screens.html

P.S. if anyone knows anything about copyright issues pertaining to what I can and cannot call my game or game company, as well as protecting my work, please contact me. I've never done anything like this before and anyone's knowledge speaking from experience would be valuable. Thanks!

Downloading now, will try later, then I'll get back to you with a mini-review...
Thanx for the beta, I've been waiting for a good time-killer

Do you know Mars Rising by Ambrosia SW ? Spent hours on it :)

But its not an OSX game…_make my day :D !

Yup, mars rising was great. Deimos rising is great too, only the gameplay is very differen't because the ships stop every few seconds. I guess this is because they made the maps in Bryce instead of putting together tiles like they did in Mars Rising and didn't want hours of work to fly by in seconds. I used tiles in my game. Practically gave myself carpal tunnel putting together those levels. Takes about an hour and 1920 mouse clicks to make one. Anyway...I'm just ranting now. I'm sick with a sore throught today and have nothing better to do.

Yay! I just submitted my game to Macgamefiles.com and Macupdate.com. 24 downloads so far in only an hour or two :D

Update: I submitted Raptor to MacUpdate.com and I've got 168 total downloads now...Be afraid other uDev contestors! Be very afraid! Of course downloads aren't everything...

WTF!?! I can't play at all, the game doesn't respond to my keyboard...it's an Apple Pro keyboard, original and all...should work...

And could I ask for a key bringing me straight to the main menu within 2 seconds? I know cmd+R will restart the game, but I want something bringin me straight to the menu...

Crap. The game worked for you before didn't it? This must be due to the fact it was compiled with the new version of TNT basic. Can you give me your system stats? I'll report it imeadiatly to the boys. Terribly sorry about that.

You can press the P key, which will bring up the pause menu (that is, if you're keyboard worked :(). From the pause menu you can just click main menu.

Same problem here...
Dual 533Mhz G4 "Digital Audio" Tower, OS X 10.2.1, 512MBs RAM, 120GB Primary HDD...

I used the top system in my sig...
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733Mhz, 768Mb, 40Gb, CD-RW, OSX 10.2

Escape worked, and so did the commands like cmd+R, but the in-game keys didn't

Just tried it on my iMac G4, and it worked perfectly. Dunno if it's 10.1 that can handle Raptor or what, but it was a joy to play...

As for changes, I noticed on the second level that a base station shot at me from outside the map. Don't know if that was intended or not.

Other than that, this is a fine game and will quite easily make an addict out of gamers...

10.2 isn't the problem. It works perfectly (as it should since I'm the developer!) on my powerbook G4 with 10.2.1. Maybe its the fact that your using 10.2 and not 10.2.1? I really have no idea. I talked to the guys at TNT and they're clueless too. They only have a small number of machines they can test on.

As for the platform shooting from outside the map. I'll take a look at it. The menu on the side of the screen that I added crops off part of the levels, so it may very well be that I forgot to erase the enemy.

I downloaded it just to test the keyboard support of my computer and an iMac DV SE but I must say it's completely playable on both. I recently put a 550 G3 in my computer but even on the 400 iMac it's easily playable.

My game seems to not like G4 towers. Every complaint I've recieved is from tower uers. Its really weird and defies explanation!

btw, beta downloads of raptor have exceeded 2,600! Yay! Go me! :p

Originally posted by Holmes
My game seems to not like G4 towers. Every complaint I've recieved is from tower uers. Its really weird and defies explanation!

*grumble*

btw, beta downloads of raptor have exceeded 2,600! Yay! Go me! :p

Oh... my bad, sorry about that... 2,590 of those was me trying to get it to work on my Mac! LOL :D

just kidding! ;)

Originally posted by Tormente
*grumble*

Oh... my bad, sorry about that... 2,590 of those was me trying to get it to work on my Mac! LOL :D

just kidding! ;)

Lol...If you first don't succeed, try try again obsessivly.

*Imagines Tormente at home*
"maybe it will work this time"
*click*
"hmm...maybe it'll work this time"
*click*
"hmm...maybe..."

P.S. I joke, but I really am sorry!

Here's a theory:
10.2 is the problem, but it can be fixed by having TNT installed
If you could tell me where to find it(or a trial at least) and it's somewhere acceptable download on ISDN I'd mbe glad to download, install and try it out...
Or the new towers could be the sinner, just seems weird to me...

Back