Better use of Dock

koim

Registered
The Dock is great. Although I´d like to see the contextual menus used better, especially a feature to close a window directly using a simple command (mentioned earlier here).

What about the application icons? Here´s what I think should be in the applications contextual menus:

Mail: Check Mail ,Compose ect.

MSN Messenger: Change status, Start conversation with *person*

iTunes: How about a easy way to skip tracks via the dock icon? The icon should be a little transparent, and then with controller buttons on tof of it :) ! You might get one problem: "How do I change to iTunes without constantly hitting those goddamn buttons that´s on top of the icon?" My solution: Make the buttons small, so you can easily hit some open room. (This also depends on the size of your dock)

Web browser: New window, any other suggestions?

The DOCK! Probably the most talked about user interface element to Mac OS X! The most frustrating thing about the dock to me is when I try to drag something to the trash icon–half the time I miss it to the left of the can and the can swaggers on over to the right to make room for whatever it thinks I want to put in the dock for quick-clicking. I'd much rather have the trash on the desktop where it belongs, just like hard drives, disks, and volumes.

I'd like volumes to mount directly to the dock, and users could specify whether they wanted removable or all media to mount in desktop dock or not at all. It would get rid this "my computer" type crap.

Bouncing icons also need to go, or need to stop when the cursor goes over the dock. It's just too hard to hit a bouncing icon. I also suggest putting square outlines around the objects, like it used too have in the developer preview, it would increase effeciency monumentally.

You can turn off bouncing icons in the Dock Pref panel.

I like the absence of square outline around the icons on the dock -- personal preference of course, but still...

I would love to see a little dockling application (heck, maybe someone here could write it, I dunno) that could control iTunes. Like a miniature square remote control in the dock. However, can the dock even differentiate WHERE you click INSIDE an icon, so is a remote like that even possible?

Originally posted by adambyte
I would love to see a little dockling application (heck, maybe someone here could write it, I dunno) that could control iTunes. Like a miniature square remote control in the dock. However, can the dock even differentiate WHERE you click INSIDE an icon, so is a remote like that even possible?

I thought you can control iTunes from the dock using control-click.

-B

Yes, but some of us are really lazy and just want ONE click to control the thing... suppose I should maybe just find an app which makes a floating iTunes controller or something...

Yes, but some of us are really lazy and just want ONE click to control the thing... suppose I should maybe just find an app which makes a floating iTunes controller or something...
Yes, you are really lazy! :D

You can just click and hold on the icon in the dock... That's one click, isn't it?

-B

Back