Beware of Beachball

btoneill

keeper of the cheese
Just a warning not to attempt to use Beachball.app with 10.2.4. It will basically render your system useless. See http://users.wpi.edu/~phoenix if you've already messed with it on 10.2.3 or if you killed your 10.2.4 box. The fix is to put the proper CoreGraphics file back in place. An error comes up about missing symbols in libPSRIP.A.dylib and libRIP.A.dylib whenever a GUI application is launched.

For those unfamiliar with this software, it changes the spinning beachball cursor, but now it just kills your box.

Brian

I'm not totally understanding the situation here. The problem is only if you restore from that backup file that Beachball makes, right? I reinstalled the wait cursor I wanted after updating to 10.2.4 and having had any problems. Not sure, honestly, if I have rebooted since I changed the cursor. Only logged out and back in.

I had the cursor working on 10.2.3, upgraded to 10.2.4, and as always after an upgrade the rainbow beachball comes back. So, I run it again in 10.2.4, and the ball changes, and everything seems fine. I then installed an update to codetek virtual desktop, after installing the update to virtual desktop, no gui apps would start. I think the starting of virtual desktop did some sort of reloading of the core graphics system which caught the problem before a reboot. After rebooting the system, everything would startup fine until it went to bring up the login window, which would not open, so it sat at a blue screen. You could ssh into the box, it still shared printers, etc, just couldn't get in on the console. So after research and finding the Beachball issue I ssh'd into the box, copied over the CoreGraphics file from the Beachball site, rebooted, and all was fine.

Brian

Excellent to know, then. I guess I will restore that CoreGraphics file when I get home. I would do it now, but I have no command line interface for SIT files that I know of. Damn, and I really liked that all blue version of the wait cursor.

I was bummed too, guess I'll take a look at mighty mouse from unsanity, hopefully I can find some cool ones from there. Also the guy who wrote Beachball has removed the download from his site cause of the issues.

Brian

Yeah, I love Unsanity, so I guess I'll see what Mighty Mouse is like. I looked at the cursor sets at resexcellence and they all suck, IMO. So far at least. Hopefully this will open up the floodgates for cool stuff. Then again I'm not at home, but I bet we can extract the cursors from the files inside Beachball.app. I'll play later on, that is after I play with the phono preamp I'm buying after work so I can continue recording vinyl to the computer now that the computer and stereo are too far away from each other. :)

Back