Big blue after 10.2.1 update: HELP!

Luca

Registered
Hi all

I ran successfully Jag 10.2 on my old G3 Beige DT 266, then updated with 10.2.1. Since then Jag doesn't reboot anymore: first the grey Apple icon shows up along with the turning grey wheel, as normal, then the screen turns to blue, the small coloured wheel shows up, turns for a while, then comes the pointer's black arrow and the whole booting process stops.
I tried:
1. reboot under OS9 (option key): the process starts but then G3 switches off and reboots by itself in OSX, then reboot fails as decribed above
2. reboot from 10.2 install CD: again, switches off and reboots in OSX then hangs
3. reset the PRAM
4. Disconnected all USB and SCSI peripherals
5. started from OS 9.2 install CD, launched DiskWarrior. Several errors were repaired, directory replaced by a new one.

NO WAY, the blue screen comes back!!! What can I do? Is it RAM (but still worked fine under 10.2)? Low memory (still 2Gigs left on my 20 gigs HD)?
Any idea someone???

ThanX

I've had the exact same problem with 10.1, exactly.
My solution, re-install. And that was the only solution. (for me)

Hope you'll get it to work soon!:)

try rebooting into X, holding down command-v to start it up in verbose mode. Your screen will show all the UNIX messages of your computer starting up - now watch where it hangs in the boot, this will most likely give you a better hint of what's going wrong. Let us know and maybe we can help you.

Apple-S at startup, followed by the command fsck -y, might help too... Reinstalling is a last resort, and you still have quite a few options.

If you're having problems booting back into 9, reset the PRAM. (option+command+p+r)

In addition to the advice above...

;)

Back