BIG booting problem

kingLatency

Registered
I've been running OS X (it's 10.1.1) here for a couple months and Apple sure has given me a good reason to abandon OS 9 (sarcastic)! My problem is that when I boot into my OS 9 drive (it's 9.2.1) and then reboot back into X when I'm done, I have to reinstall OS X! This prevents me from doing the few things that I use OS 9 for such as playing UT and defragging my OS X drive. This happens booting from any OS 9 volume including several versions of Norton Utilities and Tech Tool Pro 3.

Specifically, when I'm done with 9 and I'm booting into X, I get a static, greyscale system folder broken in half. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Rev. 2 Yosemite.

never use any os 9 harddrive programs wit ur os x hd!
if u do so, it ain't a surprise that u always have to reinstall os x!

Thank you for that advice, but this happens no matter what I do in 9, even if I do nothing at all!

I had someone recommend that I set the OS X drive as master and the 9 one as slave, but I wont do that until I confirm that that is what I must do.

I added extra RAM, I have the SCSI card Apple installed in there. New firmware, only OS 9.2.1 and 10.1.1. Replaced the CD-ROM with Sony CD-RW. No new ATA cards. No other strange problems.

The _only_ think I can think of is the fact that I formatted the drive with Hard Disk Toolkit, not Apple's utility.

Could you go into more detail on how to run fsck?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the extra details. I'm pretty sure I can't update the driver without reformatting (that is a last, last resort).

Originally posted by testuser
When starting up hold down the Apple-s keys.
The unix startup info will eventually stop, and you will be at a prompt. Type:
fsck -y
If there were errors you will get the
****** Filesystem Modified ********
at the end of the check. If this happens, you need to run fsck -y again and again, until you get the following message twice in a row:
The volume vol_name appears to be OK.
To continue booting you can type:
exit
(or if you prefer to restart: shutdown -r now)

Does this happen? Isn't it possible that it can't be fixed?

If by termination you mean the jumper settings, then everything is fine except: does the OS X drive need to be master? I've heard of dual boot PPC Linux systems needing Linux to be on a master drive.

fsck -y always worked with my disks. It always fixed all minor file system errors.
Btw, after u fsck'ed ur harddrive, u can also type "reboot" to restart ur mac.
If u don't like to use command line utilities, u can also boot from the OS X cd by holding down "c" on startup. When the OS X installer box appears, go up to the menu and select disk first aid. There u can also check ur hd for errors, but using the normal OS X gui.

In case OS X still won't boot, u can also hold down the "alt" key during startup. This will bring up a disc selection screen, where u can select the disc u want to boot from. Hopefully, ur OS X hd will appear there.

On machines that are subject to the first-8-gigs rule, you can install OS X, but after doing so, you can't boot up in it. It will act like there is no valid system on your drive.

Thanks, guys, you've really come through (this stumped the MacAddicts)!

I haven't fixed my problems yet, but I have a few questions. Last night and today, I've been fsck-ing quite a bit, I've prolly done it about thirty times by now! Will it eventually work?? And would it actually work better if I booted from the CD (more freedom to edit any files)?

I'm on a B&W G3, so I guess I'm not hacing that problem. And I can't use option at startup with this machine.

My CD-RW is the only SCSI device on the chain, set to ID 2 per the documentation's advice. I'll grab that new firmware, but my real question:

How many times do I need to run fsck?

I noticed that it checks my volume file count twice. It's wrong the first time, and it fixes it. Then the second time it checks it, it's wrong again, and sets it back to what it was originally! What's the deal.

Another thing: in OS 9, Disk First Aid would always do these tests back in the day, find stuff wrong and say it fixed it, then when testing again, all the stuff would still be wrong! At least fsck doesn't lie...

I'm biting the bullet, backing up as much of my stuff as possible and reformatting (OMG with Apple's utility this time).

Some of the stuff I moved to my other drive (but it's only 6GB), the rest I'm in the process of putting on CD. However, it is simply not possible for me back up 7GB of MP3s. This is sad, but true. Most of that is ripped from my audio CDs, no matter what I do it'll take along time.

*sigh*

Thanks, folks.

I'm about to reboot in 9 and reformat. I'm going to zero all data, just in case. I'll tell y'all how it goes. Wish me luck.

Here I am, mid-reformat.

I noticed two things:
  • It takes a *heck* of a long time to zero a 28 GB HD
  • IE 5 for 9 is a lot more responsive than any of my X browsers. Like have said before, the advantages of OS X outweigh its deficiencies by far.

I think I'll go on a regimen of ripping 1-2 CDs a day, until I have my approximately 100 CDs ripped.

Cheerio!

Back