Big Cat won't sleep

dirtbag

Registered
Panther No Sleep
The 10.3 install over 10.2.6 was relatively painless but has left me with some problems. Many, such as Safari instability, have been noted elsewere. I've seen a number of references to sleep issues, but none quite like mine. Your suggestions are welcome.

My iBook will not sleep when the lid is closed. This is a direct result of the 10.3 install. Tunes continues to play through the muffled speakers and the "Apple" stays lit with the lid closed. I can induce real sleep only through the apple menu. And when the screensaver deploys, no password is required to wake up (as set in System Preferences). This problem happens across all bootable partitions (including existing 10.2.6)

I've been through it with AppleCare, I'd already reset the PRAM, we reset the Firmware, and I removed the additional 128M of memory. I also reinstalled 10.3 on a separate partition. All to no avail.

Just a note: I removed the battery for the install as I'd fired my battery with the 10.2.4 update and was not looking for a repeat. AppleCare saw no problem with that.

AppleCare seems to have run out of additional troubleshooting suggestions. So unless YOU can think of something else, I'll have to send Scratch into the Apple Hospital.

ttfn Dirtbag

Did you repair permissions? Did you reboot in single-user mode (hold Cmd-S at startup) and run fsck -y?

I just wanted to post a update on the disposition of the no sleep problem I originally posted. It turns out to have been a hardware problem probably (according to AppleCare) caused by overheating an already weak latch switch during the 10.3 update process which, I'm told, is very power and, consequently, heat intensive. I noted in my original post the processes we ran before sending the unit to Apple. They replaced the switch and got the unit back to me very quickly, so I'm accepting their explanation. Thank-you AppleCare.

Panther seems to have problems with the whole sleep issue, if my iMac DV falls alseep it wont wake up.... ever. Totally bloches the whole machine up. I actually have had to re-install 10.3 three times on that Machine. Total hasse.

I have a similar issue with 10.2.8. Since a few days my Powerbook G4 refuses to go to sleep. Both Sleep in the Apple Menu or jsut closing the Powerbook do not work. THe machine
wakes up immediately again. I tried resetting the PRAM. Nothing is connected to the machine. Any thoughts ?

Same problem here! I tried to reinstall the 10.3.5 combo updater, and that solved the problem yesterday! Then, today, I had a "crash" - after unhooking a projector and putting machine to sleep (closing lid) - it did not sleep. Opening the lid, the screen stayed black. So I had to push the power button (not holding it down, so no forceboot) to start it, and there was no trace of this in the logs after booting up. However, the sleep problem was also back again!! So now I am doing another combo updater, and will see if this problem goes away one more time... sigh!

I'm afraid you stated the cause of all your problems in your opening sentence. Although Apple originally stated that Mac OSX 10.2.x (Jaguar) can be 'upgraded' to Mac OSX 10.3 (Panther), this is NOT the case.
As demonstrated in many, many, many instances in the MacOSX.com forum and elsewhere on the Mac web, 'upgrading' Jaguar (10.2) to Panther (10.3) (ie: Installing over the top of an existing Jaguar system), ALWAYS causes problems, ranging from the annoying to the severe.
This is because they are two very different Operating Systems, even though their names suggest they are only different versions of the same model (which they are not). So much changed between Panther and Jaguar, it could be compared to trying to 'upgrade' Windows 95 to Windows XP.

I'm afraid your only guaranteed fix to your troubles is to back up your data, wipe your hard drive, and install Panther (10.3) fresh from the install discs (and then I suggest using the latest full combo update to take it all the way up to OSX 10.3.5, plus whatever other things you need from Software Update).

You're not the first person to be caught out by this, and you probably won't be the last.

For my part, I have been running 10.3.x all the time while having this problem. But reinstalling the combo updater yesterday did not repair the problem again. So now I am at loss. I dont feel like spending a day reinstalling all my stuff and setting things back to normal, so I guess I will wait a while and see what happens...

Back