Big iMovie Problems

ByerlyRips

Registered
Ever since I got my DV camcorder (Sony DCR TRV240) and started using iMovie, I've been experiencing problems. The main problem is just getting iMovie to recognize the camera. If I restart my Mac (B&W G3) and try to connect, then everything usually works ok. But after a few days of being on, when I try to connect the camera, iMovie just sits there and gives me the spinning wheel of death. And it's not only iMovie that freezes, its the whole damn computer. Usually after a long while of waiting and hitting command-option-escape I can force quit out of it. At first I thought the camera may be incompatible or my firewire ports might be screwed up, but I tried iMovie out in OS 9 and it works flawlessly. I couldn't even force it to crash or freeze! Any ideas why this is happening? Any and all help would be appreciated. (BTW, I've experiened the same types of problems in BTV Pro).

I too am expriencing problems with a camcorder in OSX.

I'm using a Sony DCR-TRV900E (PAL) camcorder, connecting it via Firewire cable to my PowerBook G3 Pismo. In OS9 both iMovie and FCP recognise the camcorder and capture and write to the camera perfectly.

But in OSX iMovie does not recognise the camera at all. I went into our local Mac shop today and tried connecting the TRV900 to a brand new iMac (800/Superdrive), but it too could not see the TRV900 when we plugged it in.

I have tried plugging the camcorder in while the camcorder is turned off, as well as when it is switched on - doesn't work. I've restarted in OS9, connected it up (works fine) and then restarted in OSX and it still doesn't work. Didn't recognise it while running iMovie in Classic mode (under OSX) - still no go.

The Mac-guy thinks that Apple will have to provide an update to OSX in order for OSX to recognise this particular camcorder. You would think that the inventors of Firewire (Apple!!) would at least make sure that a Firewire camcorder would work on Mac gear.

I've checked Sony's (abysmal) support site to see if there is a firmware upgrade for the camera - couldn't even find any info on the camcorder at all, let alone a software upgrade page. I've checked Apple's support pages - likewise, no luck. Apple's iMovie compatibility list shows the TRV900E is supported - EeeH Buzzer[B/] Wrong!

Anyone able to help? Zeal :confused:

I wonder if this is a problem with iLink and Firewire not quite being exactly the same thing.

hmmm.

I finally found out what the problem was about a month ago. It's not the cord I bought, it's not the camera, it's noth the firewire port; it's because I had freakin' sleep mode turned on! Apparently this really f**cks up iMovie. Now everytime I use iMovie I turn sleep mode off (including spinning down the HD) and everything has worked flawlessly. Man, I had so many problems with this before. I'm so happy I finally figured it out.

I've never had sleep mode on (ByerlyRips - do you mean the settings in the Energy Preference pane?). I never have my system set to go into Sleep mode as I don't often run off the battery on my PowerBook.

I'm guessing that there are many Mac users out there who own a Sony DCR-TRV900 camcorder. Is everyone else experiencing this problem? If not, what have you done to make your system connect successfully to your camcorder?

Zeal :confused:

Well, at the same time I found out about iMovie having problems with sleep mode (this is a documented problem at Apple) I also upgraded to Jaguar. So, the new OS may also have something to do with it. Other than that, if your camera is supported by iMovie, then for all practical purposes it should work. The only other thing I could think of is that it might be your firewire cable. I know others have had problems connecting their camera because they bought a cord that wasn't Firewire and iLink compatible (it should say on the box). Well, I guess the other problem could be with the camera itself. Do you have it in the correct mode (VTR, I think) in order to be able to hook up to your computer? Also, when you are attempting to connect it to your Mac, you are switching it to VCR rather than Record, right? You also mentioned that it is a PAL camcorder, not NTSC. Maybe this has something to do with it?

In reply (no particular order):
1. Apple's iMovie camcorder compatibility list shows the TRV900E (PAL) is compatible. I assume they have tested it to make sure and haven't merely made an assumption themselves...
2. I too am running Jaguar, but 10.1.5 didn't work either so I am certain this is a specific OSX problem.
3. I have used both of my Firewire cables (4pin to 6pin) plus the Apple Centre's one too - none work so am pretty certain that the able isn't the problem (remember that the camcorder actually works perfectly fine in OS9).
4. Yes, I am turning the switch the correct way when I connect my camcorder to my PowerBook. I've tried all combinations to see if that made a difference - no luck.
5. The camera has just recently been serviced, including a complete circuit board replacement as well as iLink connector being replaced. But if it works in OS9, surely it should work in OSX....?

Are there any other tweaks I need to make to my system? Are there modifications I need to make to OSX (under the hood - playing with Unix settings or soemthing like that)? My next port opf call will be Apple themselves, to see if they can shed some light. I mean, they're the ones who say it's compatible...

If anyone else can assist with ideas, even if there are things I could try that don't appear to have been covered here already, then please add them to this forum. Zeal :confused:

Hi, AGES ago, the question below was asked - WHAT WAS THE SOLUTION? I am having exactly this problem now.
Thanks for your help!
joanna

In reply (no particular order):
1. Apple's iMovie camcorder compatibility list shows the TRV900E (PAL) is compatible. I assume they have tested it to make sure and haven't merely made an assumption themselves...
2. I too am running Jaguar, but 10.1.5 didn't work either so I am certain this is a specific OSX problem.
3. I have used both of my Firewire cables (4pin to 6pin) plus the Apple Centre's one too - none work so am pretty certain that the able isn't the problem (remember that the camcorder actually works perfectly fine in OS9).
4. Yes, I am turning the switch the correct way when I connect my camcorder to my PowerBook. I've tried all combinations to see if that made a difference - no luck.
5. The camera has just recently been serviced, including a complete circuit board replacement as well as iLink connector being replaced. But if it works in OS9, surely it should work in OSX....?

Are there any other tweaks I need to make to my system? Are there modifications I need to make to OSX (under the hood - playing with Unix settings or soemthing like that)? My next port opf call will be Apple themselves, to see if they can shed some light. I mean, they're the ones who say it's compatible...

If anyone else can assist with ideas, even if there are things I could try that don't appear to have been covered here already, then please add them to this forum. Zeal :confused:

Back