Big Sur 11.2.1, Ghostscript / Foomatic-RIP support?

HI, I am trying to use my existing laser printer on my new Mac, running 11.2.1.

Printer is Dell 3010cn, I'v e used it in the past on older versions of Mac OS X using Ghostscript / CUPS / Foomatic RIP and a Foomatic ppd file. Network printing not local USB.

It looks like foomatic-RIP pkg hasn't been updated since 10.8 or so. I looked to see if it was now incorporated by default but it doesn't look that way.
The most recent Foomatic-RIP pkg available (source is below) won't install.

I put on Brew, used Brew to install ghostscript-9.53.3_1.big_sur.bottle.tar.gz.
I pulled my ppd from the open printing location (below) and placed it in: /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources
When I'm adding a new IP print, via LPR, I can chose this printer, and the OS X printer setup can see the printers IP. I am able to query it for supply levels and they look right.

However attempting to print anything I get an error that the printer is not installed correctly.

The fact that foomatic-RIP hasn't been updated since 10.8 makes me think something else is available for RIP printing and I am not finding it.
I have the working Foomatic PPD so it should be possible to use that information and make a ppd that works with another solution.

Am I missing something that makes this easier and I just need to find it?
Or has something changed and I could be quite stuck with support for this printer under modern OS X versions?

Thank you for thoughts-

Brian.

-------
Information about the ppd:
""pxldpl" is not a new driver, but a special way of using the "pxlcolor" Ghostscript driver to make the Dell 3010cn (and probably other color laser printers from Dell) working. The trick is to replace the "PCLXL" by "DPL" (probably "Dell Printer Language") in the "ENTER LANGUAGE" PJL command. DPL is nothing else then PCL XL."
--------
"Dell presents the printer as a Windows-only printer. It is a rebadged Fuji-Xerox PLW type printer, most probably the DocuPrint C2090 FS."
-------

I tried installing foomatic-RIP but it halts as it doesn't know about OS X 11.2.1.

I can't find anything that looks like it would support the Fuji-Xerox listed above, and I'd need to change the PJL init string to send that one Dell param, I expect, if I did find something.

Back