.bin won't open

MLE

Upstate, New York
I'm operating on Mac OSX 10.3.9 here. I recently installed this version onto my Mac. For some reason, I can't seem to open a .bin file. I downloaded Windows Media Player in .bin format, and it automatically opens up Roxio Toast. Do I need a specific program to open this kind of file?

Select the file and then press the Apple key + I. In the window that pops up, there will be a drop down box (you may need to click some of the arrows to expand all the sections) that says what application that kind of file opens with. Select "Stuffit Expander" from the list and then click "Change All".

I had the same problem with 10.4.0 and 10.4.1...

Eventually I just copied WMP over from another computer and it worked OK...

I thought I was going mad! I've never had a problem with .bins before...

:(

applewhore said:
I had the same problem with 10.4.0 and 10.4.1...

Eventually I just copied WMP over from another computer and it worked OK...

I thought I was going mad! I've never had a problem with .bins before...

:(

Well let me just say. *Ahem. micro$oft*

But he is having *.bins opening with the wrong application. I believe they should be launched with Stuffit Expander. Not Toast.

BIN is also used as a disk image file, more common in Windows. Kinda like an ISO or a DMG. Though, you can easily change all BIN files on your Mac to open with Stuffit in the Get Info window... just click Change All button.

Windows Media Player 9.0 downloads to a file named WindowsMediaInstaller.bin. StuffIt will NOT expand this file. It seems Microsoft should have named the file WindowsMediaInstaller.dmg.
So try the following:

1) Rename the file as WindowsMediaInstaller.dmg

2) Double-click the renamed file to expand it. Don't get excited when the expanded file ends up with a name like WindowsMediaInstaller.dmg.app

3) Double-click on the expanded file - WindowsMediaInstaller.dmg.app - and the Installer will execute. Please note you may get a "spinning beachball" for 10-20 seconds while the Installer searches your hard drive, but the Installer will eventually start doing its thing

The post by riccbhard gave me the idea to try this "ridiculous" procedure. Given the people who put the OS X version together probably came from the PC ranks, the file extention could have been a typo.

No. It's there on purpose and rightfully so, although using MacBinary-encoding (that's what the .bin stands for here) for Mac downloads has a bit come of age nowadays, where .dmg is the way to go (and doesn't need MacBinary encoding). StuffIt Expander _does_ expand MacBinary files, and I'm not sure what happens to all those Tiger users that haven't got Expander installed (it doesn't come with Tiger anymore, whereas it was part of all previous Mac OS X installations...).

Windows Media Player 9.0 downloads to a file named WindowsMediaInstaller.bin. StuffIt will NOT expand this file.

Not true. I've downloaded it twice from VT and Stuffit will open it to a .dmg.

Back