black screen, white logo, when switching log in

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
Well, we're trying to figure out what to do. I was switching log in users on the laptop. When I put in my password, the laptop window shook and said it wasn't right. The window finally dropped down and showed me the hint. It was exactly what I was trying to put in. Then I decided, heck, I'll just reset the password. I got the message about the "new keychain" being created if I did this and if I found the old password (which is what I was putting in) then the keychain ... etc. Sigh. So, the computer went black, with a white logo.

Now, I can turn the laptop on and off and see a white logo. I tried Shift Power, Control Option power, I tried holding down Shift, control, option and the power for ten seconds. Then powering on. Right now it's plugged in and I'm just waiting to see if anything happens. I see there's another Control Command Power to possibly do something.

What's happening?

Depends o you still use a traditional hard drive? I'm a firm believer the past 10.12 Apple is 100% for an SSD or better hard drives ONLY! So an newer Mac can't handle old traditional drives with AFPS!

I believe it's an SS Drive but it's not M1, so might be Intel (but it's running OS Ventura). I was able to fix it by resetting whichever is applicable, NVRAM, PRAM by holding down Control-Option-P-R.

And if there was any way to actually get the information on age, etc remotely (via Apple.com and signing in) vs. having to have the laptop in front of me (it's not here at the moment), I'd be able to tell you exactly. All I get is a serial number.

Last edited:
I believe it's an SS Drive but it's not M1, so might be Intel (but it's running OS Ventura). I was able to fix it by resetting whichever is applicable, NVRAM, PRAM by holding down Control-Option-P-R.

And if there was any way to actually get the information on age, etc remotely (via Apple.com and signing in) vs. having to have the laptop in front of me (it's not here at the moment), I'd be able to tell you exactly. All I get is a serial number.

Um the Intel only NVRAM was in Intel chips ONLY not in the M1-2!

I don't have the M1-2 yet. :)

You should dig your toes in M1 now sense the older one is cheaper now! This way you sit in both Worlds just banish Intel only programs, always go for the Universal or on M1-2 only use that or Pure Silicone applications on those M1-2 machines!

You should dig your toes in M1 now sense the older one is cheaper now! This way you sit in both Worlds just banish Intel only programs, always go for the Universal or on M1-2 only use that or Pure Silicone applications on those M1-2 machines!
Old.... got the MM2 .

In my opinion, you are most likely having problems with your laptop related to the password issue and subsequent attempts to reset it. The laptop displays a white logo on a black screen and you have tried various troubleshooting steps like Shift Power, Control Option Power and other combinations without success. Your laptop may be stuck in a boot loop or encounter a hardware or software problem. You can try contacting technical support or a professional to diagnose and fix the problem.

Back