Blank DVDs Not Recognized

Vijay Pande

Registered
Blank DVDs of any make are not recognized and at times they do not mount and get ejected. Request solution for this problem.

Also, data CDs recorded on Windows PCs are not read by my MacBook Pro and I get a message saying that the CD is blank. Help in solving the problem will be appreciated.

The technical specifications of my MacBook Pro are: Mac OS X Version 10.5.6; 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with memory of 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Hi
What are your system prefs set to do when blank DVD is inserted? Go to Apple menu-System Prefs-CDs & DVDs-When you insert a blank DVD. Try change that option.
How are the windows CD burned? Do you know if the session has been finalized on the PC? This may cause the CD not to mount on your Mac.
Ed

Hi,
I have a very similiar problem. Suddenly my drive doesn´t recognize any blank DVDs anymore, although it recognizes blank CDs and can burn them. Disk Utility doesn´t say anything about my problem or help in any way. The blank DVD is ejected after a minute without any message (in disk utility or anywhere else). I checked and changed the CD&DVD settings under Prefs. Update Software and tried an EFI update which wasn´t necessary. Didn´t find anything on google to solve this. Does anyone have an idea?

Any help is very welcome!!!

Details about my MacBook.
MacBookPro3,1
Prozessortyp: Intel Core 2 Duo
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2,2 GHz
Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
Gesamtzahl der Kerne: 2
MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E:

Modell: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E
Version: ZA0E
Seriennummer:
Absteckbares Laufwerk: Nein
Protokoll: ATAPI
Einheiten-Nummer: 0
Socket-Typ: Intern
Low-Power-Polling: Ja
Ausschalten: Ja

Systemversion: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Kernel-Version: Darwin 10.4.0

Did you ever find a solution for your problem with the Mac not recognizing blank DVDs? I'm struggling with the same problem. It used to work fine, then wouldn't work, then worked again, and now it seems to have given up the ghost. I'm starting to suspect a hardware problem.

Thanks

Thanks. Tried that now, but no luck. This is what I have:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2,5 GHz

Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

I have also checked the system settings and it's set to "Open Finder" for DVD.
Only other useful suggestion I got so far was to use Verbatim disks (although I'm doubtful about this as I've been using the same brand for years and never had a problem until now). I must have tried about 12 disks from this batch, but one of the disks that didn't work at one time, worked at another. I've also tried other suggestions: Closing all other applications (incl. DVD players etc.); Restarting; Shutting down and removing the battery.

Back