Blinking Question Mark & Folder - Harddrive failure.

orane

Registered
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 1.33ghz apple 15" powerbook. Howevever, after a few weeks of usage I'm now experiencing the dreaded blinking question mark - (harddrive failure). I've tried to use the recovery CD to restore the harddrive but no luck. Can anyone please give any type of suggestion or advice as to how I can go about doing this?

N.B:- I heard that Diskwarrior was a good utility, but not sure if it would boot the computer, being that the harddrive has already failed. Please advise.

- Orane

When you say you had no luck with the recovery disk, how far did you get ?

If you can get as far as the installer menu select Installer > Disk Utility and see if you can actually see the hard drive. If not return the system to Apple for repair. If you can see the drive can you say at which point the restore is falling over.

run Apple Hardware Test (included in disk 1 of disks included with your system). Boot while holding down option key to select the hardware test. run an extended test to see if it's an obvious mass storage failure. After that, call apple and get a case number.

Hey dust541,

I ran the Apple Extended Test and there was nothing wrong with the mass storage. Everything seems to be in tact. However, someone had suggest that I reset the PRAM (command + option + P + R). I tried resetting this and then a blank gray screen came up.

The restore CD seem not to be of any help as it cannot pick up the physical storage drive. I guess that I may need to take it to the Apple Store and let them have a look at it.

N.B:- I also heard talks about Diskwarrior, does anyone have any experience using this to recover malfunctioning drives? Please let me know.

- Orane.

Back