Blinking Question Mark - OS runs intially, but when I reboot I always get the ?

jruggiero

Registered
Hello!

My iBook G4 works every now and then. If I leave it off for an hour and then boot, the OS will load. However, if I reboot after a few minutes of use, I get the blinking question mark. I thought it was the HD, so I bought a new one and replaced it yesterday, and now I have the same problem with the new HD.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

- Jennifer

Not one that you'll be happy to hear...

Try opening up the System Preference, selecting Startup Disk and then select your hard drive (or the main system folder for your system).

This type of thing is supposed to be held in memory even when the system is off, so there is the possibility that it was lost due to internal battery failure while shut down. The system will take a moment to search all available bootable methods (and will wait to see if any new ones appear) before selecting your hard drive if it doesn't know to always just go to that drive at startup.

Hi! Just tried that and it came up with the blinking question mark again. However, I know that in the morning it will boot up into the OS after it sits a while.

So, if it is lost due to internal battery failure, is the internal battery replaceable?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

- Jennifer

Back