Blue and white g3 hard drive disapearing

Timma

Registered
i have two hard drives
hard drive 1 morpheus panther
hard drive 2 partition 1 oracle
partition 2 neo
partition 3 matrix
i forgot which of the partitions have tiger on them but one of them does it is either matrix or oracle

alright i restarted becasue i leave my computer on for around two weeks and then i restart it or if install a program. this time it was becasue it was on for awhile. ok when it restarted i got a file folder and a question mark alternating and i think i restarted it again using the programmer restart button. i had to start up off of panter on morpheus. then i logged in after it running very slow to come up with the log in screen. then i finnally log in and in stead of seeing 4 hard drive icons i only see 2 morpheus and oracle . i restarted multiple times with varying results multiple times had the two couple times none worked and would try to install like there wasnt an OS . When i did get in and used disk utilities it showed the two but also showed the other two but not their icons and one of them NEO shows up as disk0s1 or another time disk0s9 the other one matrix said matrix but not the icon and both of those were gray. the two that showed up said they were mounted in location / and the two that were gray said mount location: and it was blank i try hitting the mount button on the toolbar with no results. i called my brother who has a masters in computer science and he said to try archive and install . so i tried that and it started to install and then above the progress box it said that there were errors intalling the software. and inside it said please try installing again and would only let me restart so i tried it again with the same results. i at least want to get into them so i can burn them to cd or something . if i reformatt i lose over 7000 songs and i dont want to do that. so if there is a way to fix this without having to erase i would greatly appreciate it thank you

Some of the old B&W G3 hard drive controllers are not very good and all of them are slow.
You may want to try the drive in another computer and see if it works.
A new PCI IDE controller card should be very cheap, so you should get one if the drive is ok.

Back