Blue Screen

sautey

Registered
I have a G4 Silver desktop with 1G of memory - It froze up while on the internet. Manually shut down. Now when I start it up it goes from the grey apple screen to a blue screen with a spinning wheel. After it stops spinning my mouse arrow show up but nothing else and if I let it sit it goes into the sleep mode.

Running 2 hard disk one with 9.2.2 and one with Tiger

Desperately need my computer.

01. Insert and boot from the 'Tiger' install disc.
02. Run 'Disk Utility' and perform a 'Repair Disk' on the G4's internal hard disk drive, hdd.
03. Also within 'Disk Utility', perform 'Repair Permissions' at least twice, on the G4's internal hdd.
04. Reboot the Mac from the G4's internal hdd.

If the above fails, then consider ...

01. Insert and boot from the 'Tiger' install disc.
02. Perform an 'Archive and Install'.
03. Reboot the Mac from the G4's internal hdd.
04. Update Tiger accordingly.
05. Handle needed files from the 'Previous Systems' folder.

If the above fails, consider professional assistance.

Thank you for the informative reply - It won't allow me to start up with a startup disk of any kind (Tiger or repair disks) I spoke to a computer repair man and he said it was probably the mother board. I left it on over night and when I look at the screen it was in dos language asking me for my user name and password. Really strange.

If you can, take the Mac to an Apple Authorized Service Center or the Apple Store if you have one in your area. They will be able to tell you the exact cause of the problem. Not all computer repair places are familiar with Macs, nor will they admit to it either since they want your money.

If this were a hardware problem, you would get what's called a kernel panic which either shows up a as bunch of text ending with something like "panic: we are hanging here" or a much less abrupt screen with different languages in a black square telling you to hold down the power and restart the Mac. You might not even be able to go beyond the startup chime at all either. All of these happened to my iMac G5 which was plagued with bad capacitors.

Have you held down the C key the moment you heard the startup chime? Hold it down until you know for sure that the Mac booted from the disc. If this works, you should be able to pick the language which will lead you to the installation welcome window. AT that point, go to the top of the menu and select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Then you can run a Repair Disk on your hard drive.

Are you able to get this far?

The answer to the problem is after the chime hold down the shift key until the apple screen comes up - the it will start up - the problem was a corrupt font in the classic folder - for others it may be an application. Did a lot of research to find the answers. Thanks all for input

Back