Bluetooth mouse, keyboard, cinema display + Powerbook?

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
I have an ADC 23" cinema display that doesn't get used anywhere near enough. I got a 17" Powerbook about a year ago and since them my G5 sits idle most of the time :confused:

I want to put the display to better use by using it with my powerbook at work. I don't want to run two displays - I'd rather just use the big display.

So my question is... if I buy an apple bluetooth pro keyboard and a third party multi-button bluetooth mouse (any suggestions?) as well as a DVI-ADC converter, can I leave the powerbook in clamshell mode?

I want to be able to bring my sleeping powerbook into work with me, plug in the DVI and ethernet cables and hit the spacebar on the wireless keyboard to wake it up. (can you wake a sleeping mac with a bluetooth keyboard?).

Is this possible? Will this setup work? TIA.

Its inadvisable to run a PowerBook or iBook with the lid closed, as some of the ventilation is through the keyboard and the lid hinge. However, there is a utility called iSleepLess that allows you to run with the lid closed.

Using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse is a good idea and should work fine. I don't really have any recommendations for the mouse to buy though.

I know that you can use a Bluetooth keyboard to wake a sleeping desktop Mac - after all I do this with my iMac several times a day - but I'm not sure if its the same for the portables.

It is just fine to run a powerbook with the lid closed. Direct from Apple's powerbook page:

If you like a streamlined look on your desk, connect a second display to your PowerBook, pair a mouse and keyboard and run the PowerBook in closed-lid mode.

iBooks are different but lets not spread the PowerBook fud.

lurk said:
It is just fine to run a powerbook with the lid closed. Direct from Apple's powerbook page:

iBooks are different but lets not spread the PowerBook fud.

Thank you

question about bluetooth devices...

I know you have to "pair" them with the computer... is this done once when it's initially setup? Or do you have to do it every time you move the devices out of each others range (ie, when i bring my laptop home and use it, and then go back into work the next day with it asleep, will i have to open the lid to wake it up, repair and then close the lid? or can i just hit the BT keyboard and be on my way...)

Back