Bluetooth Printer

steve143o

Registered
I saw the thread addressing this issue but there was no response:

I have a G4 Powerbook running Tiger 10.4.2

The bluetooth setup assistant when i try to install a printer says the "printer software is missing".

I am trying to run a new printer HP PSC 1600 as bluetooth using a D-Link DBT-320 bluetooth adapter.

The bluetooth assistant recognizes the adapter but will not finish setup because of printer spftware missing.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Hi

Thought I was the only person who had this problem. HP support are not very good at getting back to me either. I've just bought a Photosmart 2610 and keep getting the same message as you 'printer software missing'. Have you been able to sort the problem out? Any advice or suggetions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Worked with both HP and the bluetooth company and no one had any real answers. Sry but I gave up and just run a USB cable now. OH well...

I was told by HP Mac tech guy that it would work (all you need to do is configure the printer), although he didn't call me back I'm determind to get to the bottom of it! If I find out, I'll let you know.

Ha!

Just been through this with the Bluetake BT200.

Here's the answer from Bluetake:

Dear XXX,

MAC OSX supported Bluetooth HCRP profile for printing files. BT200 supported Bluetooth serial port profile, so it cannot work with MAC OSX.

Please contact to us if you have further question.

I was getting exactly this response:

The bluetooth setup assistant when i try to install a printer says the "printer software is missing".

I just sent it back.

Hi-

I've been having the same problem connecting to the HP 2610 via bluetooth from my new iMac with Tiger OS. Did you manage to resolve this issue somehow?

If not, have you tried and had any luck with some kind of wireless-to-usb solution instead?

Any help gratefully welcomed:

G4 Powerbook 15" FW800. DBT-320 bluetooth receiver connected to USB port of Epson C84 photo series printer.
This was working ok (slow but ok) before I upgraded to OS 10.4.3 and reinstalled (because of a separate problem).
Before: i installed using system preferences - print and fax - add (+) - bluetooth. This found the DBT, and apparently couldn't find the epson driver, because it selected a driver called Gimp (?!), but it worked OK.
After: same installation procedure, but now it finds some generic Epson driver (not the right one); when I print eg from Word, it gives every indication of functioning (light on DBT flashes; document appears in printer queue, then disappears) but the printer does not respond. Does it make any difference that using Bluetooth set up utility (which I did not use before, I think) can find the DBT (calls it a printer), can communicate with it, but then tells me pairing fails because it cannot find the driver. I don't think there are any drivers for DBT itself.

Amy useful thoughts?

OK, this is what worked for me (see above for decrition of my problem):

1) went back to OSX installer disks and installed (from options package) all printer drivers (had omitted Gimp on first install, now I know what they are.*)

2) went to Apple and downloaded latest Bluetooth firmware**. Beware: when you have unpacked and clicked on it, it tells you it has installed, but I think it has only put Bluetooth Firmware Updater in your applications/utilities folder. Click on that and wait as directed. Restart.

3) Next I used Bluetooth setup assistant to discover the DBT-320 (I suggest to search for any device, not just printer; and then make sure passkey options is set to 'none'. For me, the DBT device locked on straight away.

4) Finally went to print set up (system preferences): DBT-320 was already there, now using two drivers, epson and gimp. Quick test from word: printing fine!

I hope this helps someone else.

Patrick

*see http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

**I used
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/bluetoothfirmwareupdater12.html There is a 1.5 at
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/bluetoothupdater.html
but I don't think it adds anything you need.

mb said:
Hi

Thought I was the only person who had this problem. HP support are not very good at getting back to me either. I've just bought a Photosmart 2610 and keep getting the same message as you 'printer software missing'. Have you been able to sort the problem out? Any advice or suggetions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I spent over 3 hrs spanning 2 days (!) with an HP tech who could not solve the problem. We tried everything short of liposuction, to no avail. Mac sees the printer but will not configure. He kept saying, "This is supposed to be easy." Hrumph.

Back