bluetooth problem - not able to validate device.

Ste238

Registered
i recently got a new (sony ericsson w800i) phone, and used bluetooth on that to send files to and from my ibook.

my w800i broke, and i've now got a new handset (with the same sim card, battery and memory card as before if that makes any difference).

now, when it searches for nearby devices, it manages to pick up my phone TWICE. how can this be possible? i can't get rid of the old one no matter what i do.
if i change my bluetooth name on my phone it changes one of the entries.

when i try to send files from my ibook to my phone now, it tells me it is 'unable to validate device' when i press send. this happens to the other device as well.

i AM able to send files from my phone to my ibook.

i AM able to receive files from another phone via bluetooth.

any ideas? :-/

Did you delete the pairing related to your first phone? If not, then delete both and pair your phone with your computer again.

i had deleted the pairing with the old phone, yeah.
i tried to pair my ibook with my phone but it tells me 'the pairing attempt was unsuccessful'.
both the phone and the ibook are on 'discoverable'.

when i press 'send a file' and it searches for all the bluetooth-enabled things around me it brings up both my old phone and my new phone.
however, if i go to set up a new device and it searches, it only finds my new phone.

is there any way to 'reinstall' the bluetooth program or something?
i have already done 'repair disk permissions' if that makes any difference.

IN MY OPINION, there're 2 ways to sort your problem. More knowledgeable individuals; please step in before he has to buy a new laptop :):
1. Delete the 'com.apple.Bluetooth.plist' file. This will mean you have to configure your Bluetooth options again and pair all devices again.
2. Search for 'com.apple.Bluetooth.plist' and open it. Expand the Root node and you'll see 2 relevant nodes titled 'Favorite Devices' and 'Recent Devices'. When you expand these 2 you'll see the string ID's of your devices. Open Bluetooth preferences (in System prefences) and compare the ID's in the plist and what's available under devices. You ought to be able to find which ID belonged to your old phone. Delete it.

i searched for the 'com.apple.Bluetooth.plist' file in spotlight and it brought it up. i tried to open it but it needed an application to open it with?

also, if i were to
'Delete the 'com.apple.Bluetooth.plist' file. This will mean you have to configure your Bluetooth options again and pair all devices again.'
will it create a new file when i configure the options again?
i wouldn't want to go deleting files off my ibook if they won't come back! lol

thanks very much for your help.

Back