Blurry text

lelereb

Registered
I've tryed to change the antialiasing level on several apple laptop, but always with no result. I don't se any difference, what's wrong?

I've a good sight and I thing that a difference between the lowest and the maximum smooth level must be visible.

I think that font is too blurry, there are pixels clearly visible around the text, too bad text visualisation!

I've tryed to do this on exposed apple laptops, a pb12, a pb15 and an iBook14.

Thanks.

Yeah, the anti-aliasing really sucks on LCD screens, and its not exaclty perfect on CRT's unless they are at a super-high resolution.

If you would like to turn the anti-aliasing off all together in Jaguar for certain font sizes and below, run this command in the terminal:

defaults write 'Apple Global Domain' AppleAntiAliasingThreshold 14

The 14 at the end means that 14pt type and below will not be anti-aliased--> you can change that number to a higher or lower setting.

I did this and it makes everything crisp and quick, but still smoothes the big stuff, like headers. Note that a few apps have thier own default antialiasing, and will ignore this setting.

I've already tryed "defaults write..." solution, but I think this is a workaround and that Apple MUST address this bug.

Sorry but for me this is a bug, any pc users note that mac antialiasing sucks.

Originally posted by lelereb
I've already tryed "defaults write..." solution, but I think this is a workaround and that Apple MUST address this bug.

Sorry but for me this is a bug, any pc users note that mac antialiasing sucks.

Uhm, do you know what antialiasing is? If you think antialiased fonts being fuzzy on LCD screens is a bug, maybe you should look up the definition of bug. Hint: not the insect.

ANY computer running an LCD screen with antialised text at a relatively small font size will appear blurry. It's a limitation of the LCD technology, not the operating system. And certainly not a 'bug'. Why do you think graphics professionals stay with CRTs, even though they emit radiation and flicker constantly, tiring and even damaging the eyes? Cuz they hate their eyesight?

Any PC users note that.

Just take the 'optimized for LCD' setting. It enables subpixel-rendering for antialiased text. If you _don't_ like how that looks, you can try and disable antialiasing with TinkerTool. But really: It looks perfect. Oh, and, moving thread to the OS section, as this is certainly not news or rumours. ;)

LCD's have only one resolution in which everything looks crisp. Lower or higher resolutions are going to make the entire screen fuzzy. If more than the font is fuzzy for you, try changing the resolution a couple of times. See if the cleans it up.

LCDs have square pixels, which make diagonals appear more jagged than the analog CRT display.

I don't know. . . the antialiasing looks pretty good on my 1440x900 LCD display. :)

Maybe not in this forum, but there are severl discussions on how badly fonts are displayed by osx on a lcd display.

I have compared a Compaq laptop with a recent linux distribuition with some Apple laptop exposed on a store, and I must abmit that the text antialiasing active on the compaq laptop was better than the one in Apple laptops, simply because the Apple antialiasing was too strong.

So, no problem, I tryed to reduce it in the system preferences, but no result, and I'm sure to be able to distinguish "no result" from "little change".

So, someone of you can assure that changing the smooth level produce an effect in text visualisarion? I'll be very happy of that, cause it make me hope that the one I've seen is a problem of the Italian installation or that the store has made an irregular installation (no one in that store really known macs).

Back