Boosting Gain on airport cards

WeeZer51402

Registered
In the near future I plan to get either an iBook or a Power Book and the range of the WiFi adapter is of concern. I'll have to see how it works and it may be sufficient but if not does anybody know of any way to boost the gain on those adapters. The reason being is I just installed some third party firmware on my linksys WRT54G router that allows me to increase the out put and I also plan to get high gain antennas so I can reach into my back yard, however this is all useless to me if my transceiver on the computers end isn't strong enough. TIA for any replies.

I don't think you are going to have to worry about range. With my Airport Extreme I'm able to get a better range than a PCMCIA card with a MMCX omnidirectional antenna. As for getting more range than that, there is a MMCX connector on the Airport Extremes.

hmmm well as I said I'll have to see the range I get on it, I've done a little searching about adding an antenna to a PB and it aint pretty so I think I'll opt not do that, I guess the only way you could really boost the output of the transmitter on an airport card would be to hack the driver and thats not really an option either...but thatnks for the response I'll just have to give it a try I guess.

Well, if you get a 15" or 17" PB you will have a PCMCIA slot, and could always get a Cisco Aironet with dual MMCX connectors. That should get you the range you want. :D

Back