Boot Camp on Intel based Xserve?

tsokol

Registered
Has anyone successfully installed another OS on the new Intel based Xserve? Boot Camp indicates it requires a firmware update, but there are no firmware updates available for the Intel based Xserve. Is there another way to install another OS on the Intel Xserve? (Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, Windows Server 2003, etc.)

Has anyone successfully installed another OS on the new Intel based Xserve? Boot Camp indicates it requires a firmware update, but there are no firmware updates available for the Intel based Xserve. Is there another way to install another OS on the Intel Xserve? (Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, Windows Server 2003, etc.)

Nope.

Bootcamp is a collection of drivers plus a graphical interface to command disktutil which allows non destructive repartition of the hd.

Non destructive re partition of the hd was added in diskutil in 10.4.6 at the same time apple issued the firmware revision.
Is this firmware revision which allows booting other operating systems.
For some reason Apple does not like Xserves running linux, freebsd, windows, etc. so Apple did not issued the necessary firmware update for running other OSs in Xserve.

But for server applications, I'd advise to use Parallels' solution. Run Mac OS X Server as the primary OS, then add virtual machines for specific tasks if those are not available for OS X. Nice solution, me thinks. Even more so, because you don't really need accelerated graphics here, right?

Yes, as I do not like the poor abilities of Mac OS X Server Admin app for server configurations, specially as a mail server, I have a virtual freebsd box running under Parallels in a production Xserve.

Apple has "reconfigured" postfix, amavis, etc. and keeping them updated, specially the amavis-new, depends on Apple updates which are always obsolete when issued.

So I tried to run a freebsd running the latest versions of everything under Parallels and, after a couple of hours I had a mail server running latest stable versions of Postfix, Dovecot, Spamassasin and Amavis-new.

So now this Xserve is running as a Webserver under Mac Os X and as mail server under Parallels plus freebsd 6.2. Freebsd is using its own IP address.

Working with about one hundred mail accounts and no problems at all since I started it a copuple of months ago.

I know this is not the best solution as Parallels is a desktop (not a server) based virtualizer but it works and the results are better, by far, than using postfix in Mac Os X.

Back