Boot camp only sees 3GB of ram

supanatral

Registered
I'm using Boot camp and running windows XP, but it only sees 3GB of ram even though I have 4GB on my new MBP. 3GB is more then enough, but I'm still wondering why it only sees 3GB?

Windows XP will only see 3 GB of RAM. It's a limitation of the 32-bit addressing.

Fair enough. Ya, the reason I say that is because at one of the offices I administrate, all their desktop computers have XP 32bit and run with 4GB of ram. I hope apple will improve that limitation

Fair enough. Ya, the reason I say that is because at one of the offices I administrate, all their desktop computers have XP 32bit and run with 4GB of ram. I hope apple will improve that limitation

I don't think it's anything that Apple can do since it's a limitation of Windows XP 32-bit. The 64-bit Windows operating systems don't seem to have this problem, and I believe you might be able to get the full 4 GB in Vista 32-bit.

But if it was dependent on Windows XP to see all 4GB, then has the capability because like I said before, at work there are quite a few computers that have 4GB of ram and windows XP x86 sees it all.

Vista may see 4GB of ram, but that doesn't convince me at all to even think of switching to Vista :p

Supa, nix is right. XP 32bit will only address 3ish gb RAM. The machines at work coudl be running XP 64bit. Its the same with Vista, on my x86 box I had to get 64bit Vista as 32bit XP only saw 3 of the 4.

I was going to post that, but even MS seems to get it wrong if you note the comments listed below. It might be hit or miss depending on the hardware that it's on.

If you google xp 3gb limit you see an equal number of posts saying that XP had trouble over 3 gb. For instance here. For vista Microsoft themselves say there is a 3gb limit for 32 bit.

As far as I know the prolem its in the architecture of operating system, they didnt tougth that you will have more than 3Gb in the ram memory, as alwais microsoft use the filosfy if you dont know how to resolve it say that its some one else problem. But the thrue its that the architecture was designed poorly, they try to fix to resolve this with the release of windows xp 64 that only last two months on the market because then they release vista 64 bit with the "free" upgrade.

Actually, I beg to differ. The correct and most accurate response to that post would be:

"Banana anger spaceship? For slippery nines, telephone call!"

Back