Boot camp truble

Mr_D

Registered
Ok so a couple weeks ago my mac pro died. I posted a thread on here about it and you guys were really helpful. Anyway it turned out that the mother bored and graphics card had over heated and failed due to dust from building work.

So I've got it back from the repair shop now, the mac side is working fine, no complaints at all but bootcamp isn't so happy.

When I first tried to boot into vista after getting the comp back, I restarted, selected the bootcamp icon and then the screen just went black. The light on the monitor went dim like it does when the computer is asleep and that's it. I didn't have anything important on the partition so I just removed it and repartitioned, witch seemed to go fine. But then when I put the vista disk in to install the same thing happens again. Screen goes black the CD spins up really fast but nothing ells.

Thanks for reading.

Can you help?

It may be really in Sleep Mode... I found this problem on MS Vista:

SYMPTOMS
Consider the following scenario. You have a universal serial bus (USB) mouse
connected to a Windows Vista-based computer. You move or click the mouse as
the computer is entering sleep mode. Then, after the computer has entered
sleep mode, you try to resume the computer by using the mouse or by pressing
a key on the keyboard. In this scenario, the computer stops responding
(hangs) at a black screen.
Back to the top

CAUSE

This issue occurs because some USB mouse devices do not work correctly with
sleep mode in Windows Vista.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, type device in the Start Search box, and then click Device
Manager in the Programs list.
2. In the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
3. In Device Manager, expand Mice and other pointing devices.
4. Right-click the USB mouse, and then click Properties.
5. Click the Power Management tab.
6. Click to clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box, and
then click OK.

Thanks for your post LMeinhardt, but the problem isn't vista freezing, its that I can't get into boot camp at all. I cant even get as far as the loading screen.

A friend suggested reformating the hard drive. Does that sound like a good idea?

What do you have installed in VISTA? Is it important? If not, maybe removing the partition and recreating it will be faster and safer than formatting the whole HD. Can you at least boot on the MAC OS X?

What do you have installed in VISTA? Is it important? If not, maybe removing the partition and recreating it will be faster and safer than formatting the whole HD. Can you at least boot on the MAC OS X?

Repartitioning was the first thing I tried I'm afraid. Now when I put the Vista CD in and click 'start windows installer' in the boot camp assistant for the blank partition;

The computer restarts,
the screen comes on with a plain gray screen for a couple of seconds then goes blank,
the CD spins up but nothing happens,
After 15-20 minutes the CD stops spinning and it all goes silent.

Can you at least boot on the MAC OS X?

OS X is working fine.

Did you remove the partition and created a new one? Or did you simply format it? I had a problem with XP, when trying to install it without using the Windows CD to install it. What version of Boot Camp are you using?

Did you remove the partition and created a new one? Or did you simply format it? I had a problem with XP, when trying to install it without using the Windows CD to install it. What version of Boot Camp are you using?

Yes I removed the partition and made a new one. I am using the original Vista CD to install. I think its boot camp 2.0 (that’s the same as the boot camp assistant rite?)

Back