Boot forces into shell mode

k7magi

Registered
Hello, I'm new to OS X. I'm using 10.2.4.
Today I ran the System Update and then afterwards I reboot the system but the shell prompt showed up instead of "Welcome to Macintosh" message.

I tried to reboot a few times. The startup screen showed. The async arrow spinned for a minute then suddenly it jumped to shell mode (like single user mode), the prompt is something like "sh2.5.0#". While this prompt shows the background is till the gray startup screen.

I tried to do "fsck -y". It fixed some problem and I rebooted, the problem remains. I tried to "finger", but it says "no one logged in". Then I tried to login as root but it says login incorrect..

What is the problem? What should I do? I'm now using a friend's computer to type this message. I'd really appreciate if anybody can help.

I ran into this problem as well, after a crash. I ended up having to reinstall the system. Sorry. :(

There should be an option during the reinstall to save your home directory and settings and move the old system stuff to a folder labled Previous System Folder. Be sure to use that. Then you'll have to run the updates again.

Back