BOOT Issue

macco

Look above : it's me
Hi again,

I have a friend that has a Powebook G4 (I am not that fortunate yet I have an ibook G4 and a iMAC G5 :rolleyes: ) but anyway the problem is that after installing the system and stuff he rename the harddrive (then he changed it back at what he remembers it was the original name) and now at boot time the firmware does not find the harddrive directly and stasts searching on the net (it displays the beautiful EARTH image ) and then it displays the folder image (check the local) and then it starts. I have a rough idea what I ahve to do (enter firmware and do some tests ) but still I do not want to wander like ALICE in wonderland. SO Ideas anyone ?

the answers will be worshiped.

Looks like it's trying to find a NetBoot volume to boot from. Tell your friend to open up System Preferences on the powerbook, select Startup Disk, and select the boot volume. Should fix it.

Yeah, when you see that globe, that's NetBoot. If it were to find a NetBoot server, it could erase your drive, though I doubt you have one sitting around that your not aware of! :)

If you hold the Option key while the machine is booting, you can pick your startup disk, that'll get you past the NetBoot at least, then follow Darkshadow's instructions. :)

Oppps,

It is not working, that is I indeed in the startup disk it was to boot from the net, I change that to the HD option but afterwards, it boot directly in the OS X regardless of the fact that the yaboot was present and he should first load the boot loader wher ethe choice between linux and osx is done. when the Net boot was there after looking from a server to boot from and after looking locally the yaboot was directly loaded. any ideas ?

thanks a bunch.

I think you have to set that in Open Firmware; however I haven't done any dual booting with yaboot in a long time. I'm not sure of the way it's done anymore.

Have you had any experience with trying to boot up to an external DVD on the USB by holding down the option key and then getting the "Do Not Symbol" on the screen?

Back